Snake Pass closed to traffic....again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Sounds like it’s the bit of road where there are always landslides? I guess they have to close it as there are no turn offs in that whole section.
Sounds right. Once you leave Glossop you have to do 10 miles before there is a junction (at the Ladybower reservoir). That's the main reason it closes so often with snow; you have to keep all 10 miles clear

Crankarm

Guru
Update:

Rode up the Snake this evening. They close the road at 7pm so it takes a while for all the traffic to clear through. By 7.20 it was empty. When I was descending back into Glossop there were about 20 cyclists heading up to the top.

I had a chat with the guys stopping traffic at the bottom of Snake Pass in Glossop. Apparently there is road resurfacing on the Sheffield side of the Snake Pass Inn. It doesn't sound rideable on the resurfacing bit but you can walk that section and then carry on

Resurfacing with dangerous stone chips or relaying the road proper with a new one?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ought to close permanently to motorised traffic. A great new cross Pennines cycle route.
It doesn't really 'cross' the Pennine 'spine' ('backbone of England') though does it? More a case of going along it!

The timing of these closures doesn't really suit me this time. I'd end up riding home in the dark (or have to get up at silly o'clock and ride there in the dark).

Globalti

Legendary Member
Resurfacing probably means repairing the landslips although let's hope it never gets as bad as the Mam Tor road:

Mike's visit 2007 011.jpg

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It doesn't really 'cross' the Pennine 'spine' ('backbone of England') though does it? More a case of going along it!

The timing of these closures doesn't really suit me this time. I'd end up riding home in the dark (or have to get up at silly o'clock and ride there in the dark).

Oh I think you'll find it crosses the Pennine watershed west to east or east to west depending on preference.

Reactions: C R

ColinJ

Oh I think you'll find it crosses the Pennine watershed west to east or east to west depending on preference.
I was thinking that it was more N<->S, but it isn't really W<->E either. More NW<->SE!

Hope - good play on words given where that is located.
I've had mixed success on the hills round there, but you know that old expression - 'You Win some, you Lose some'... :whistle:

ColinJ

It would be Kinder to stop this right now
It has nothing to do with Snake Pass, but I was wandering about on the top of Kinder Scout once and had just stopped to eat a sandwich when a cheeky bloody sheep came running up and tried to grab it from my hand. I held the sandwich up in the air and the sheep reared up to try and reach it... Obviously too many tourists up there feeding sarnies to the 'wildlife'! :whistle:

si_c

Guru
Thinking about making this a night ride on Friday 2nd August - starting at Piccadilly and heading over Snake Pass, into Buxton then over the Cat and Fiddle through Alderley Edge and then back to Piccadilly. The route I have in mind is about 74mi (120km) and 4700ft (1400m) climbing. I'd reckon riding time to be between 5 1/2 and 6 hours. Although it could be extended a touch.

I'm half thinking that leaving around Midnight and getting back into Manchester early doors in time for breakfast would be best.

Would anyone be interested in joining?

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Interestingly I rode all the way over the Snake and back on Saturday morning (so it was open to traffic)

Other than a set of temp lights getting towards the reservoirs that have been there ages there was no hindrance to progress. There was loads of Plant parked up at the summit but that's all and I can see where some resurfacing has taken place nearly down to the reservoirs. Not really sure what's going on but it was no problem cycling

Top Bottom