snakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bygone era

Über Member
who else keeps snakes as a hobby I have a 3 year old reticulated python about 11ft long and tame as a snake cant post photos though

vickster

Legendary Member
*shudder*

Thanks for not posting photos. If you figure it out, please add a warning to your thread title for those of use who can’t abde them!

colly

Re member eR
who else keeps snakes as a hobby I have a 3 year old reticulated python about 11ft long and tame as a snake cant post photos though
Where do you keep it? That's a big snake. I've never kept them but think they're beautiful animals.

I once did work for a bloke who had a monitor lizard in a glass aquarium. It was pretty big (maybe 1m end to end) and just sitting in the tank his tail and nose were touching either end. We had a 'discussion' about it. I never did get paid but I asked the RSPCA to have a look and it seems he agreed for them to take the creature 'off his hands'.

gbb

Legendary Member
Only kept small ones when the kiddos were younger, green water snake I think and an albino something or other, I have no problems with snakes.
Friends of ours had a Burmese Python....it was over 15ft long I seem to remember.
He always used to poop himself when he fed it dead rats or chicks....the speed they strike when taking food, you just couldn't not be surprised every single time. It was remarkably tame, it's be free to move round the house under supervision, I've had it over my shoulders etc etc...occasionally I'd help if it got 'tetchy' and wouldn't get back in its cage. Truly impressive creature. When it shed its skin, you could fill a carrier bag with the cast off. It sh1t on him once :laugh:...think of a pint of bird poo, you get the idea.^_^

classic33

Leg End Member
Only kept small ones when the kiddos were younger, green water snake I think and an albino something or other, I have no problems with snakes.
Friends of ours had a Burmese Python....it was over 15ft long I seem to remember.
He always used to poop himself when he fed it dead rats or chicks....the speed they strike when taking food, you just couldn't not be surprised every single time. It was remarkably tame, it's be free to move round the house under supervision, I've had it over my shoulders etc etc...occasionally I'd help if it got 'tetchy' and wouldn't get back in its cage. Truly impressive creature. When it shed its skin, you could fill a carrier bag with the cast off. It sh1t on him once :laugh:...think of a pint of bird poo, you get the idea.^_^
You'd possibly think twice if you saw this on the door.
images.png

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
B

bygone era

Über Member
Where do you keep it? That's a big snake. I've never kept them but think they're beautiful animals.

I once did work for a bloke who had a monitor lizard in a glass aquarium. It was pretty big (maybe 1m end to end) and just sitting in the tank his tail and nose were touching either end. We had a 'discussion' about it. I never did get paid but I asked the RSPCA to have a look and it seems he agreed for them to take the creature 'off his hands'.
hes in a big vivarium but comes out often and goes back in on his own

Milzy

Guru
I have a female Royal Python in a fire morph.
I have a male Barons racer.

The python is getting big now. Need a new viv.

OP
OP
B

bygone era

Über Member
How do you know if a snake is tame? Serious question.
how they react with you their body language the classic s shape means don't mess with me my snake as orange efes when they go more black that's when hes hungry and being confident but always be prepared he could easily crush me by coiling

gbb

Legendary Member
How do you know if a snake is tame? Serious question.
Bygone is right (in my limited memory). Our friend who had the 15 footer always said you had to know how to read them, know their body language us such. Don't mess with them when they're hungry, I described how his got 'tetchy"...and that's when it became uncooperative, and it was best back in its cage (he'd built a room height section at the end of his living room, with a large branch it could climb, heated etc)

Itd be interesting to know if theres been any cases of large pet pythons attacking their 'owners'. I suspect its unlikely if you kept them fed...but I used to feel a bit uneasy about his kids and his dog in the presence of a loose snake.

I do remember being at A&E one evening with one of my children and a young guy came in looking sorry for himself and a towel clamped to his face. The nurse asked his (I assume ) girlfriend what happened. 'His snake bit him' she told the nurse in a shocked kind of way....and continued.....'he only got it today'. I suspect that was a pet that was got rid of pronto.

Milzy

Guru
I’m surprised anybody can buy a retic with no Dangerous animals license. There’s guys on the forums with 20 foot monsters going around their houses.
I’m sure it’s a bonus when they’re in captivity. Lots of food & little chance of getting sick or hurt. They live so much longer as pets than in the wild.

Top Bottom