snakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
i was once driving
my van in west wales, on the outskirts of
Ysyradgynlais if anyone one knows it, only to spot a long (3 to 4 feet !) green snake sidewinding up the road - and I do mean sidewinding just like american rattlers ! Anyhow, stopped the van and picked up the snake with a karrymat I had in the back and slung him in the hedge so he wasn't run over. He clearly wasnt an adder nor a slow worm but I'd never seen a grass snake, so despite being most likely a grass snake was reluctant to pick up someone's escaped green mamba. He was a whopper for all that, grass snake or escaped mamba
Grass snakes are big. They can grow to 5ft and look menacing. But they are brownish.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I saw an adder when I was off-roading (on a path) on my bike just outside Stanhope in County Durham.

It was about a third of the way up Crawleyside bank, and seemed quite content basking on the chalky path.

A quick google suggested there is a known population in the area, and the adders tend to like some elevation, which it had where I found it.

There's some concern about inter-breeding in the population because the ever busier roads prevent the snakes from travelling - and mixing - as they would like to.

I've no idea how far a snake likes to slither on a day out, but it seems adders will travel miles given the opportunity.

It's always struck me as cruel to keep a snake in a glass box.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I've no idea how far a snake likes to slither on a day out, but it seems adders will travel miles

It's always struck me as cruel to keep a snake in a glass box.
I have to agree with that sentiment. As mids my mate had grass snakes and we thought it great fun. In hindsite maybe not.
I suppose that arguement could go against eg keeping fish but ??,

Top Bottom