Snapped cable in Shimano Brifter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Hi guys and gals

I have the remnants of a severed gear cable in my Shimano Tiagra right hand side Brake Lever / Gear Shifter.

I have repeatedly wiggled it about and tried to get the gear to the installation point where the cable end is exposed but to no avail.

Should I consider removing the remaining cable (which would then mean I have nothing to grab thereafter)

Decisions decisions

RobinS

Veteran
I had this while on tour last summer - with limited tools I had no hope. I took it to a Decathlon, where two mechanics, equipped with two pairs of pliers, and crucially a twirly prooger tool took twenty minutes to get it out! To their credit they only charged for the replacement cable itself.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Don't know about your specific brifter, but I recently had a similar issue on my 105s and discovered (via helpful folk on here) there is a panel on the underside that can be removed to allow access.

You'll need a very small cross head screwdriver.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I had this happen last year on my Tiagra rh mech. It wasn't too devilish to get it out, or to install a new cable. There was a little panel on the side which fell off (helpfully) as I was exploring, and clipped back in place after I had renewed the cable. Good luck !

Ajax Bay

Guru
Don't take it apart. You may find a twirly pronger difficult to source, so I recommend a stout safety pin for general poking duty.
I would pause before 'cutting it off'. If you can get a firm grip of the frayed ends with pliers and apply tension you may be able to click the inside lever till the mechanism is 'lined up' and then it's a straight poke out.

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I had this while on tour last summer - with limited tools I had no hope. I took it to a Decathlon, where two mechanics, equipped with two pairs of pliers, and crucially a twirly prooger tool took twenty minutes to get it out! To their credit they only charged for the replacement cable itself.

20 minutes is good going - last year it took me an hour to free a jammed cable from my STI brifter. My own stupid fault for not having tightened the RD clamp enough, which allowed the shifter pull enough cable loose to start wrapping itself round the shifter internals.

No lasting damage, though.

You need to shift the small shifter/thumby to line up the entry/exit point, just pull on the cable while shifting and it'll help it click back to insertion point. With that much cable exposed it should then just push back out, or show enough of the head to give it a good tug with pliers.

Top Bottom