Snapped spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GavinDavies7

finally got a new bike yesterday ( new for me but secondhand ) I got a cube peleton I think it's a 2015 model as soon as I picked it up I took it to my local bike shop to book it in for service on Monday (tomorrow )they said to ride it over the weekend and see if there are any problems. Out on it yesterday while coming down a hill a spoke snapped off completly was about 5k from home so just rode it home googled if it was safe to ride today as wanted to go further afield today and 10k into my 46k ride today another spoke in the same wheel snapped is that because the wheels are rubbish or a underlying problem with something else after further inspection when I got home I noticed a few of the other spokes seem new so this has obviously happened in the past is it just a case of renewing spokes or would new wheels be a better option. Thanks in advance

alicat

Legendary Member
Ask the bike shop when you take it in for a service. I personally wouldn't have ridden a bike with a broken spoke for more miles than absolutely necessary.

the snail

Guru
It's a symptom of a badly built wheel, and the spokes have fatigued. There's no point in replacing individual spokes, more of them will surely break. Either get the wheel rebuilt with all new spokes, or get a new wheel.

What this snail guy said. Getting a new spoke is throwing your hard earned cash away. I learnt this the hard way. More will follow. If you're stuck without a wheel and don't have time to do a rebuild, buy a new wheel. Consider rebuilding the old wheel if the hubs and rims are worth keeping as a side project. Always worth having spares.

Last edited:
Top Bottom