Sniping Ebay.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What is the best way to do it?

I haven't bidded on said item because I don't want to bump up the price.I've been watching it for two days so far...I missed out another chance before because item finished on Sunday morning which is a bit of a silly time IMHO.

Do I leave it 30 seconds before end of aution or what?
I know that's risky as I have done it before years back.

Is there software to help?
Any thoughts?

Cheers

Mark_Robson

I leave it until 8 seconds from the end. Have one window counting down the time and a second ready for you to hit the confirm button. Decide on a max price and then add a little to it and always bid an odd amount ie £21.33
Sometimes you win but sometimes you lose.

OP
OP
H

hackbike 666

Does ebay's clock work to GMT as like my watch which updates every night and is accurate to the second?That would be a great help.Thanks for the replies.:biggrin:
Will check this stuff out.

brockers

Agree with thegreenman. Just put a max bid in early on and sit back. The whole sniping thing stinks of sad desperation and I can't see it saving you more than pennies anyway.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I think that any software bidding system should be banned. If you aint there you can't bid.
I always leave it till 30 secs to go and put in my bid. This leaves me a little time to see if there is a follow up bid then put in my max.

You didn't hear that did you:becool:.

My dad has always put his max bid as soon as he has seen something he wants to buy and has always lost out:laugh:.

Mark_Robson

brockers said:
Agree with thegreenman. Just put a max bid in early on and sit back. The whole sniping thing stinks of sad desperation and I can't see it saving you more than pennies anyway.
You might want to reread thegreenmans post :biggrin:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
1) Decide the maximum you are prepared to spend, in advance, including postage. Oh yes, and stick to that.

2) Do not make any bids.

3) With one minute to go, get the Speaking Clock on the phone.

4) With heart pumping, and trembling fingers , hit the keyboard with three seconds to go, or less, depending on your nerve. I have never lost it due to a slow connection, but plenty of times from higher bids, and that is how it should be.

5) Sniper sites are no fun at all after you get the buzz from your very own DIY alternative

Good luck

:biggrin:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
brockers said:

Sniping is far from an act of desperation.

It's often a way of keep prices down and in one's favour.

I acquired a Dave Yates' unused frame last year off Ebay. I looked up the brand new price and found it to be about £700. I decided that the maximum that I'd be willing to pay was £350. The opening price was £200.

If I had declared my hand early and placed a £350 bid then there was a chance that other bidders would bid against it until it was substantially above £200 or my bid was beaten.

If I had waited until the last moment to place my £350 bid either manually or by using a sniping tool then the following outcomes could have arisen:

• Other snipers could have been lurking with higher bids than me and I lost the frame.
  • I could win against low bidders and get the frame for a low price close-ish.
  • I win with against high-ish bidders and get the frame for close to the £350
These reduce to two outcomes: I get the frame or I don't. No bidder is disadvantaged in the process. Everyone has bid their maximum bids. There's no unfairness.

Sniping using software also has the advantage of placing bids when it's otherwise difficult i.e. at unsociable hours or during working hours in an environment where Ebay is filtered out.

1) Decide what you want to pay
2) Wait until 10-15 seconds from the end of the auction
3) Key in what you think is a max bid of £165, but is actually a max bid of £1 650 because of your pork sausage - like fingers
4) Pay £320 for a guitar you could have bought new for £199.;)

But as a rule, the first two stages of this process work for me. There's no point whatever bidding your maximum amount eight days before the end, that just means you'll be outbid or pay more than you have to.

Use supersniperplus.com which uses an atomic clock linked to eBay's clock and advanced electron compression to get your bid in a nanosecond before the bidding stops. The bid can actually overtake one posted earlier by someone else who doesn't have liquid nitrogen cooled wiring for the post.

Top Bottom