snow covered roads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I haven't ridden on snow covered auto roads in quite some time, not since the year round commutes of 2009-2010. I remember riding in the right hand tire track (US)

it might be fun to try on a quite Sunday morning, with no actual auto traffic. or maybe not. this was the scene driving home from my 2nd job Sunday afternoon

IMG_6306.JPG

Sharky

Guru
It last really snowed in Kent about 12 years ago and the roads were just like that. I rode in on old Apollo MTB and got in before a lot of my work colleagues. On the first day, the snow was fresh and soft and had no problems. Tried again the next day and the snow had frozen hard and I only managed 50 yds before I had to turn back.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It last really snowed in Kent about 12 years ago and the roads were just like that. I rode in on old Apollo MTB and got in before a lot of my work colleagues. On the first day, the snow was fresh and soft and had no problems. Tried again the next day and the snow had frozen hard and I only managed 50 yds before I had to turn back.

I beg to differ my friend. What about the beast from the east in February 2018? It was a fair old covering of snow that lasted a good week.

At the risk of sounding like an Eskimo; the word "snow" is far too vague! I've only tried riding on the stuff a handful of times, and each ride was different.
On this morning's snowy walk I kept meeting new conditions (e.g. with-or-without frozen puddles underneath), and pondered how my various bike tyres would cope. Once it gets deep enough, you need fat tyres to ride at all; God bless the snow ploughs where @rockyroller lives!

Snow is fine with gnarly tyres but snow cover concealing ice really needs steel/ceramic studded tyres.
The ones you buy are quite expensive and durable. My DIY ones are cheap, just as grippy on slick ice but may only last 10 years worth of wintery weeks.

johnblack

Über Member
First time riding in snow for ages the other week. I've got Vittoria Barzos on the 29er, let a bit of pressure out and they didn't flinch, really impressed, it was mostly lanes and bridleways and some compacted icy roads, I'm hoping for a bit more, yesterday was a let down.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I was in Boston (Danvers actually) about this time last year but missed the heaviest snowfall. If it were me, I would be cycling on those roads without hesitation.
I have a nightshift week starting tonight and will be cycling with a dusting of snow and temperatures at or slightly below freezing. More snow forecast for during the night though so should be a good return trip in the morning :hyper:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Even with the most capable of tyres, car tyre ruts can be a little ticky. Ice under snow, then yes studded tyres. Most difficult snow is when it's been compacted by cars, frozen, then partial defrosting to freeze again - it becomes like sand as it just doesn't stick together. That's tricky to ride in.

fossyant

I've found cycling on snowy roads manageable with spiked tyres, enjoyable even, but the risk of drivers losing control around me is more scary.

That's a reason why I avoid them too - I take the off road route ! Someone on Singletrack reported last week that a mate had been catapulted into a field from a car out of control in the snow.

That's a reason why I avoid them too - I take the off road route ! Someone on Singletrack reported last week that a mate had been catapulted into a field from a car out of control in the snow.
I've spent 9 weeks in hospital after crashing my car on ice - nothing but bruises from bike crashes. I don't have any stats, but I think the risk to car occupants is a lot higher than to cyclists. (and I do remember the welsh tragedy - were 5 riders killed? A horrible incident.)

I'm very ice-phobic, but I don't worry about the cars hitting me (you can't worry about every non-zero risk in life - that's my attitude!)

fossyant

I've spent 9 weeks in hospital after crashing my car on ice - nothing but bruises from bike crashes. I don't have any stats, but I think the risk to car occupants is a lot higher than to cyclists. (and I do remember the welsh tragedy - were 5 riders killed? A horrible incident.)

I'm very ice-phobic, but I don't worry about the cars hitting me (you can't worry about every non-zero risk in life - that's my attitude!)

I remember the one in North Wales - it's not far from our caravan and was on a road I rode on regularly.

I've had bumps and bruises from ice on the bike, but 4 times in one commute, was enough.

Top Bottom