snow covered roads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I was on my bike two hundred yards from our front door at 7pm this evening. There was a sprinkling of snow and the temperature was around freezing but the road surface seemed fine. I went over a small speed hump and the front wheel just went sideways. I followed it down onto the tarmac. Absolutely no warning. I've been off a few times in the past but ice is a new one for me.
I walked the rest of the way.

MntnMan62

Über Member
Riding in the snow can be fun. But not on roads. I just don't trust other people enough. The potential for going down at any moment is just too great. Then you have to hope that the person behind the wheel of that vehicle just behind you knows what they are doing. Nope. You won't find me on roads during the winter. Especially when there is black ice that is impossible to see until it's too late, if at all. Instead, I've ridden in the park near me on the trails. Now that's fun.

No way!
:jealous/angry smiley:
yeah sorry. but it's just 1 trail. but if I ride the whole thing up & back it's about 20miles, so it's pretty sweet. ideally I try to start my ride as a blizzard starts, then get back to the car when there's about 3" on the ground, then go home to cozy up. but yeah pretty spoiled I guess

the skiers don't seem to mind either

View: https://youtu.be/IX3FP26egq0

I've tried a few times and fell off every time so now I don't bother :tongue:

Depends on how fresh the snow is and whether it is icy or not underneath. Even one time when I was doing well following the wheel tracks I ended up falling off at 1mph on a patch of black ice with no warning.

If you are going to try I would say:

- Bike choice is key. Something with big knobbly tyres or studs is a good idea. Mudguards or limited clearance to the frame is bad because the snow will build up and jam your wheels stuck

- Ditch the cleats and wear normal shoes. Cleats just end up getting full of ice when you walk and don't work

Top Bottom