snow watch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I had about 12 snow flakes outside my house in Denmark on Christmas Day. But it is below freezing now and there are a few ice patches on the country roads.

I took the Big boy scooter out today and saw only one MTBer. Usually there are loads about.

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Very thick here in SWAD last night so bad cars were slithering on the hill and the sky TV packed up then it stopped.This morning I was out at 6 am to check the road as swmbo is at work and the roads are slushy with snow on the paths and gardens so its snowman time.
Whereabouts are you ?

I`m in Overseal. I bet you`ll know the little Spring Cottage to Swains Park trail that the lad and I went on last night.

Start

Picture 034.jpg

Still starting...
Picture 035.jpg

Very impressed with the Lezyne micro drive lights that I got for Christmas (right hand bike), especially the rear
Picture 040.jpg

The SolarStorm front light on the lads bike is ok too
Picture 037.jpg

A rabbit (foot prints bottom right) ran across my lads path and he had to swerve to miss it :laugh:
Picture 039.jpg

Bloody Daleks came along shortly after and melted all the snow with their ray gun things... they dont like the snow, they run on slicks. They apologised soon after and agreed to unblock my lav.
DSCF2245.jpg

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Went to Decathlon today , back roads around bretby were getting icy when we got back around 5 pm .
Mini ck 1 wanted to buy some shorts + jersey like daddy ( hes 7 ) and swmbo gave me my x mas money and said the roof rack i had bought off ebay was not x mas stuff so i got a couple of cheap shorts and a rain proof jacket while she and ck 2 went into next and did girly shopping .

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Still no snow here yet, certainly cold enough for it, central heating is programmed to switch itself on at 10 Celsius, it just came on!
Plenty of ice on the roads, also plenty of impatient drivers during the festive season, maybe because most are taxis due to the zero drink and drive limit.
@winjim what kind of ice tyres did you get?
The knobbly ones, mb style, work great in the snow and slush.
The sleek ones are also great, but only on ice.

winjim

Smash the cistern
@winjim what kind of ice tyres did you get?
The knobbly ones, mb style, work great in the snow and slush.
The sleek ones are also great, but only on ice.
I ride a Genesis CdF which only has clearance for 32mm tyres with mudguards so I went for the 30mm Schwalbe Winter - reasonably skinny and not as many spikes or as knobbly a tread as some.
http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/schwalbe-winter-118-spikes-28-x-1,20-wire-67805/wg_id-1956

I found I had to be brave - once I started sliding the thing to do was to put the power down and spin the rear wheel. That way the tread on the tyre cleared off the slush so the spikes could bite the ice underneath. The times I had to put my foot on the ground were the times I was going the slowest.

snorri

Legendary Member
Just looked out of the window and the snow hasn't arrived here yet. :laugh:.
No snow? Maybe that's because your porthole is underwater, best check:thumbsup:

:smile:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I ride a Genesis CdF which only has clearance for 32mm tyres with mudguards so I went for the 30mm Schwalbe Winter - reasonably skinny and not as many spikes or as knobbly a tread as some.
http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/schwalbe-winter-118-spikes-28-x-1,20-wire-67805/wg_id-1956

I found I had to be brave - once I started sliding the thing to do was to put the power down and spin the rear wheel. That way the tread on the tyre cleared off the slush so the spikes could bite the ice underneath. The times I had to put my foot on the ground were the times I was going the slowest.
Yeah, I had a scary experience with the Winters on the only occasion we had snow here in the last 3 years - a one day affair.
So I went on to buy the knobbly ice spikers: of course we never got snow again here in town since. Had to go out of town to find fresh snow to try them out.
Now got 2 ice bikes :laugh:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Nope, sadly not and the trees will undoubtedly beeping to someone else, it is just we need to get out (rephrase that my oh needs to get the car out) and no one else will do it... The alternative which only we have available normally, won't be available until the snow melts because of a really step gradient (+40%) and a hairpin bend or three up into our landlady's fields...
Sounds like my last house down a private drive where I was the only one who cleared the snow to the road'anyway you need the exercise so get digging ......insert smiley but can't on the tablet giggle hug etc.

Sounds like my last house down a private drive where I was the only one who cleared the snow to the road'anyway you need the exercise so get digging ......insert smiley but can't on the tablet giggle hug etc.
Our previous house was even worse. It was down a dirt track that was nearly a mile long, lined with thin spindly silver birch trees that would fold over the track when it snowed. The land either side of the track was not our landlady's and neither was the track, but she was responsible for the maintenance of the track surface in exchange for use of the track. Over the years we established the best approach was to ensure that we drove over the track before the snow froze and gained that crisp to to it. We would have to use the front of our car as a snow plough and tow someone sitting on a pallet behind the car to clear the snow. It worked really well.

On the smilies front BTW, you have 2 options. I was having the same problem until yesterday. 1, learn the codes www.cyclechat.net/help/smilies and simply type them in, or if you are on android install Google's own keyboard which I did yesterday and I can now insert smilies without them promptly disappearing again! Rather than hijack this thread, of that doesn't work, pm me....

Top Bottom