SNOW!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
It's not bad enough for me to not go to college but I think I will check.

If climate change comes upon us then this is the sort of thing Britain will have to get used to. The overall increase in global temperature will push the jet stream north bringing Siberian easterly winds and plumeting temperatures here.

GrahamG

Guru
Will1985 said:
Snowing in Brum - 3-4 inches at the moment. Just waiting for the heavy stuff to hit this afternoon.

I decided not to try and go in for a 9am lecture, but I have physio at 11:30 on campus so I'll be dressing up for the trek by foot in about 45 mins.

Lets hope it stays around until Wednesday - i'm up for a meeting but I'm sure there's a sledge at my old man's place!

Arch

Married to Night Train
LLB said:
A meteorite strike apparently

I don't think so. A meteorite strike might lead to an extended period of dark and cold (colder than 'normal', and dark and cold enough to affect the food chain to kill off not just the dinosaurs but a lot of other stuff too), but an ice age, with glaciation, is a cyclical climate event.

Anyway, the sun is out here, it's very pretty. I'm hoping it'll be like that all the way down the M1 for Mum. I reckoned the most dangerous bit would be the 500 yards downhill to the main road.

I'm going to have fun brushing the 2" build up off my bike, which is outside in the yard...

ChrisKH

Guru
Snow in South Essex as BonaB says, but if you really want to get to work you can always walk as I did. ;) So I got in the office and there are only maybe 10 people out of 70 there. They have said they may close the office at midday as more snow is expected. :biggrin:

LLB

Night Train said:
It's not bad enough for me to not go to college but I think I will check.

If climate change comes upon us then this is the sort of thing Britain will have to get used to. The overall increase in global temperature will push the jet stream north bringing Siberian easterly winds and plumeting temperatures here.

The bad summer of 2007 was caused by the gulf stream pushing south over france leaving us above it and exposed to the arctic summer weather.

jonesy

Guru
LLB said:
The bad summer of 2007 was caused by the gulf stream pushing south over france leaving us above it and exposed to the arctic summer weather.

The Gulf Stream flowed over France? I think they might have noticed!

LLB

jonesy said:
The Gulf Stream flowed over France? I think they might have noticed!

Whoops, that should have been the 'jet stream'. We had the gulf stream over the UK - or it certainly felt like it at the time ;)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Not much up here in the Toon, though it's settled, and some side roads are slidey-car-accidental-bumpy. My usual 30 min bus ride turned into a 90 minute oddyssey... it ain't THAT bad, for gawd's sake (though I bet out in the countryside/hills there's loads...)

col

Legendary Member
Still coming down here,its going to be fun on the bike.

wafflycat

Fnaar said:
Not much up here in the Toon, though it's settled, and some side roads are slidey-car-accidental-bumpy. My usual 30 min bus ride turned into a 90 minute oddyssey... it ain't THAT bad, for gawd's sake (though I bet out in the countryside/hills there's loads...)

Whey, bonnie laad, when ah was a bairn up in Northumberland, school nivvor shut for a bit o'caad weather! Get the winter boots on, hat, gloves, duffle, winter ganzies... make sure y'put yor vest on... and that's in the classroom! Out in the playground making slides on the ice... fingers numb with cold, wet, ice.. walk to school in snow past your knees.. an United buses nivvor went off the road for a couple of inches of snow! Not like them softie southerner buses in London... :rolleyes:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
wafflycat said:
Whey, bonnie laad, when ah was a bairn up in Northumberland, school nivvor shut for a bit o'caad weather! Get the winter boots on, hat, gloves, duffle, winter ganzies... make sure y'put yor vest on... and that's in the classroom! Out in the playground making slides on the ice... fingers numb with cold, wet, ice.. walk to school in snow past your knees.. an United buses nivvor went off the road for a couple of inches of snow! Not like them softie southerner buses in London... :rolleyes:
Aye bonny lass (I'm a southerner, btw :biggrin:) I'm half expecting a call to say the kids' schools have been shut.... it's not so bad at the mo, but they close them 'just in case' the kids can't get back to places like Rothbury, etc...

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
it's a grim struggle for existence here in the Great Wen! Just battled through eight inch drifts on my way back from Balham where I took on emergency cappucino and almond croissant supplies. But, to begin at the beginning....

With The Babe on her way to Balham tube in a black cab I turned my attention to The Kid. I figured that the embarrassment of being accompanied by a Rental all the way to school would be sufficient to keep her warm, and so it turned out to be. So, I stood out in the road and peppered next door with snowballs, challenging the young people to come out for a snowball fight, while The Kid scoured Bebo for Embarrassment Avoidance Advice. Falling short, she loped along beside me to school which was shut! Somebody is going to be demanding a refund! Happily her English teacher had turned up on his bike, so he and I talked bikes, while The Kid plotted our joint downfall. So we walked across Tooting Common, through Balham, along Wandsworth Common and over to Battersea so that she could join a hurriedly convened relief operation to look after B***** whose father, a Tory, thinks that turning on the heating will make children soft. He may be right.

The Commons were like a Breughel painting. Children being pulled on sleds, young people pelting each other with snowballs and Dads rolling round huge snowy orbs to make full height snowmen.

The Babe opened up the office, but, by ten o'clock, only four out of seventy had turned up (one producer had told her team not to go to work for Health and Safety reasons) so she was sitting in a cold office spitting tintacks and dictating formal warning letters like a gatling gun. I popped into a bistro before walking home, marvelling at the idiocy of people who thing a four wheel drive vehicle is immune to skidding. Whoops! The cat, having made a brief foray into the New White World has crawled under his blanket, and is having none of it.

All is well. I'll go down to my mother's this in a while to check on the temperature of the house, and then tour around looking for a sled...

Arch

Married to Night Train
dellzeqq said:
All is well. I'll go down to my mother's this in a while to check on the temperature of the house, and then tour around looking for a sled...

Improvise, man. A bit of old plywood, or at a pinch, a bin bag...

surfgurl

You know when the news talks about most of the UK being covered in snow? Well I am in the bit that hasn't got any. I wanted to make snowmen on the beach. It's not fair!

Top Bottom