SNOW!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

surfgurl

It's proper snow coming down now and looks to be starting to settle. The cats are most confused and the seagulls aren't helping by sqwarking loudly.

Dave5N

Über Member
Kids' school has closed. Which means I have had to leave work so the teachers don't have to drive home when it's busy. :biggrin:

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Well I just got back from a 15 mile cycle in the snow. It started off OK (tiny flakes of snow, clear roads) but then after my 2 hour Uni classes, the return journey was a different kettle of fish! Felt like almost blizzard conditions, had to keep wiping my glasses and front light as snow had made them almost opaque, all those little snowflakes feel like icepicks on your skin. Of course my journey home was 80% into wind.

Still I loved it! Would have preferred it if the cars that passed me went a tad slower as I've got no end of slushy muck flicked up onto my jacket (and probably face) but it was still great fun and I feel much better for it.

Had a job opening the shed door for the trike and then had to get Uncle James to lock it for me as the padlock was stiff as anything. Will probably be hacksawing through that tomorrow morning to get the bike out!

HelenD123

Legendary Member
We were going to be sent home early but it's stopped snowing now and the roads just look wet. It's forecast to start again soon though.

Downward

Guru
Oh dear you have to laugh at the neighbours trying to get on their drives (we live on a steep hill) totally reliant on their cars they are.

barq

In Guildford we have about 60cm snow and every Surrey state school is closed today and tomorrow. University of Surrey also closed until Wednesday at the earliest.

After my somewhat abortive attempt at cycling I went for a long walk. The deep snow is hard work but quite passable but where snow has packed down it is awful. This led to a situation where I couldn't get to the office (too icy) but have been able to go for a lovely walk. :biggrin:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
a couple of years ago I went for a very cold morning run down to Brighton with Manotea (for those of you that know him). We were heading up a long slope south of Faygate, and the road was covered deep frost. Our 23C tyres went slippy, grippy, slippy, grippy every half revolution, but we found it easy to maintain our balance. The effect was comic, but it had the unfortunate effect of convincing me that I was The Man Who Rode on Snow. Ah! Hubris!

I've just been over to see my mother, who is effectively trapped in the house. I went to cheer her up, and to ensure that the thermostat was set to a decent temperature (the elderly tend to think there's a war on when it comes to central heating). I decided that TMWRoS could get over the hill on a Brompton. Hahahahahahahahaha!

I put the thing in the kind of gear that only a Brompton has, and twiddled. Our street was fine, other than the wazzock in the DynoRod van following six feet behind me, and the main road was clear of snow. But then my whizzo plan, to ride in the ruts left by cars, turned out to be not so whizzo. There are four ways to come off a Brompton, and I'm now skilled in three of them. Only the over-the-handlebars somersault remains to be conquered. Those little tyre hit a bit of frozen snow and whip the wheel sideways. Off we go to the left. Off we go to the right. And how about a nuts/handlebar conjunction? It shall be done.

I met a cyclist coming the other way, wheeling a fixie. We exchanged a few words, and I trudged on. Eventually a path of clear tarmac opened in a rut, only to narrow, and then disappear, taking with it my dignity. Another groin/handlebar meeting, made all the more exquisite by my feet sliding forward on the snow until I was in a sort of pennyfarthing dismount postion with the saddle pointing at my arse.

All very humbling. Tomorrow it's the hybrid. I'll report back.

longers

Legendary Member
Sorry to laugh at your misfortune dellzegg but I enjoyed that. Be careful tomorrow though.

Top Bottom