Snugpak sleeping bags?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone got any opinions?

I have the impression that they are rather good value unpretentious things**

Have turned against the idea of getting a down bag.

Currently use a very good mountain equipment synthetic bag but it is getting on a bit and a tad on the large side for cycle camping.

** in that pretentious poseur category i would put something i recently saw in a covent garden "camping" shop, £200 and a comfort level of plus 10. In short, good for camping on a friend's nice sofa.

Cp40Carl

Über Member
I bought one about 25yrs ago and it is still going strong after a lot of use. Not sure if they still make them like they used to but I am very happy with mine.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've got one but it isn't as warm as it said it was but then I'm female and I think most bag ratings are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I just use a liner in mine to boost the temperature, which has the advantage of extending the range of the bag temperature wise.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Me & Mrs. jg have had a snugpak softy 6 and softy 12 for absolutely ages. We've been together 30 years and I can only vaguely recollect not having them. I sleep in the 6, Mrs jg sleeps in the 12 and they've got opposite zips so we mostly have them zipped together. Not as warm as they used to be but with Mrs. jg in there I never get cold.
They're dead easy to look after too - just chuck 'em in the machine and they dry really quickly too.

iandg

Legendary Member
I bought a Snugpak 1 a few years ago for sleeping in halls at events and I've been happy with it. much lighter and more compact than my other bag(s) a Buffalo 4 season inner & outer ^_^

Specs are very "average" - exactly what i would expect of a bag of that temp range and price - would I buy it - no - doesnt come in a extra long

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Not necessarily looking for highest spec smiffy - as long as it does the job for which I need it - if you have any particular criticisms of it fire away.

Note that I am not extra long. Pretty average spec myself.

as long as it does the job for which I need it
- just my point - ive no experience of snugpak apart from running the odd hand over them when ive passed them in a store - should do what it says on the tin

byegad

Legendary Member
I can't speak to the sleeping bags, but I bought a jacket for bird watching and it's really warm, even in a draughty hide with the wind blowing hard!

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Snupak sell their products off very cheaply on the 1st Sat of December every year from their factory in Seeton and Silsden.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately i won't be that way at that time. From what i can figure they don't have a regular factory shop.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Thanks for that classic. I knew that they were there.

Are you saying that in fact they DO have a regular factory shop?

They don't seem to publicise such a thing on their website.

Pretty sure my next bag will be one of theirs - have given up on the idea of down.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I bought one of their summer weight ones maybe 30 years ago. It's been bloody good to be honest even if it's not suprisingly less warm than when I got it. Wasn't it Cotswold Outdoor's house brand in any case ? it was synthetic "qualofill" which is one of the somewhat better insullation materials. Slightly bigger rolled up than a 1litre thermos it sufficied for 2 to 3 seasons and I really can't fault it. I couldn't say if Snugpak are still at the same price / quality level or merely cashing in on past glories but back the they were pretty damned good

Top Bottom