Snugpak sleeping bags?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks for that classic. I knew that they were there.

Are you saying that in fact they DO have a regular factory shop?

They don't seem to publicise such a thing on their website.

Pretty sure my next bag will be one of theirs - have given up on the idea of down.
Number given is for their factory shop.

I've a 5 season bag from them, but never had any real need to use it as a five season one. @summerdays, temperature ratings are subjective/personal regardless of manufacturer. A better indication is the seasonal rating.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Hills
Thanks classic.

Odd that they don't seem to publicise it or quote prices.

Have you visited their shop? Is it worth it?

I am aware that their bags are discounted in several places anyway.

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks classic.

Odd that they don't seem to publicise it or quote prices.

Have you visited their shop? Is it worth it?

I am aware that their bags are discounted in several places anyway.
Been once. Used to go to the Ultimate(Now long gone) factory shop nearer me. Similar setup, it's what was there on the day making pre-pricing hard to announce.

Anything particular in mind item/price wise?

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Anything particular in mind item/price wise?

I'll be looking for a synthetic bag, three season which can be used in not too severe 4 season with a bit of extra lining and clothing layers. I think i probably need a bag rated -5 comfort, -10 limit or however they put it. Have no intention of actually camping or bivvying out in anything like minus 10, nor on high unsheltered terrain.

classic33

Leg End Member
Have no intention of actually camping or bivvying out in anything like minus 10, nor on high unsheltered terrain.
You taking the sofa with you?

classic33

Leg End Member
Sorry classic, you've lost me.
You mentioned this bit in bold.
Anyone got any opinions?

I have the impression that they are rather good value unpretentious things**

Have turned against the idea of getting a down bag.

Currently use a very good mountain equipment synthetic bag but it is getting on a bit and a tad on the large side for cycle camping.

** in that pretentious poseur category i would put something i recently saw in a covent garden "camping" shop, £200 and a comfort level of plus 10. In short, good for camping on a friend's nice sofa.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
For what it's worth I've tended to have a proper down bag for the winter and a good quality lightweight synthetic for summer. Something to be said for an in-between bag as well - my old down bag does for this ever since having to shake the 3 remaining feathers round to the cold spot became a bit of a bore for winter proper.

Petrichorwheels

I bought one about 25yrs ago and it is still going strong after a lot of use. Not sure if they still make them like they used to but I am very happy with mine.

can I ask which one it is?

Petrichorwheels

Me & Mrs. jg have had a snugpak softy 6 and softy 12 for absolutely ages. We've been together 30 years and I can only vaguely recollect not having them. I sleep in the 6, Mrs jg sleeps in the 12 and they've got opposite zips so we mostly have them zipped together. Not as warm as they used to be but with Mrs. jg in there I never get cold.
They're dead easy to look after too - just chuck 'em in the machine and they dry really quickly too.

do you know what the numbers mean, if anything?
I find the branding/naming confusing.
A recent natter with a bloke who works for Snugpak implied that the numbers might relate to the amount of their "softie" fluff/insulation.

Petrichorwheels

Number given is for their factory shop.

I've a 5 season bag from them, but never had any real need to use it as a five season one. @summerdays, temperature ratings are subjective/personal regardless of manufacturer. A better indication is the seasonal rating.

5 season?
sounds good.
Can I ask what it is called?

Petrichorwheels

For what it's worth I've tended to have a proper down bag for the winter and a good quality lightweight synthetic for summer. Something to be said for an in-between bag as well - my old down bag does for this ever since having to shake the 3 remaining feathers round to the cold spot became a bit of a bore for winter proper.

Old post I know (strayed here on a search) but can I ask what you use for winter?
What sort of temps?
Suppose one plus about this being an old post, if still around, you may be able to give a good update on real life usage experiences.

Gwylan

Veteran
Me & Mrs. jg have had a snugpak softy 6 and softy 12 for absolutely ages. We've been together 30 years and I can only vaguely recollect not having them. I sleep in the 6, Mrs jg sleeps in the 12 and they've got opposite zips so we mostly have them zipped together. Not as warm as they used to be but with Mrs. jg in there I never get cold.
They're dead easy to look after too - just chuck 'em in the machine and they dry really quickly too.

A propos of not a lot, our washing machine has a programme for reviving things like sleeping bags and down jackets.

Find that makes a difference. My "bug bag" is a 60 year old Blacks Icelandic. Beats most things.
When there is a probability of getting wet then I take the synthetic bag.

Top Bottom