Snugpak sleeping bags?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Old post I know (strayed here on a search) but can I ask what you use for winter?
What sort of temps?
Suppose one plus about this being an old post, if still around, you may be able to give a good update on real life usage experiences.

We've got a brace of top notch mountain equipment down bags for winter.
A notch down from the himalayan / arctic range but really fluffy down, slightly elastic sides which keep you snug, and water resistant to protect from drips (not for sleeping in the rain!). First time out we were camping in the snow in North Wales and it was I think -8C inside the tent. Cozy warm but did need it fully zipped up including the hood. Claims confort to -10 and "transition" down to -17C which presumably would be OK with jumpers and johns on. Here's what it says on the package

I think you get what you pay for so if going for winter down I would get a proper brand. Ours were a so-say deal in last year's colour or whatever, maybe £250 each, but that was ten years ago.

29774933-9941-4A00-A010-BEB8E809BB87.jpeg

Petrichorwheels

Snugpak 12, now only a four season bag. Only good down to -14°C.
saying
Does it have a name?

Can I ask what's the lowest temperature you have comfortably used it down to?
Have heard all sorts of things about Snugpak bags - some saying great, some saying not bad but that their temperature ratings are fantasy (tactful word).
I recently acquired a Snugpak bag that claims to be good to minus 15 but cannot help but be doubtful.
It managed OK on a recent sleep out down to +3 but had the idea that it might be approaching its limit.
Was using a Paratex liner, though not sure if that adds warmth.
May add another liner.
And other stuff.
Mine is supposed to be a premium model made for/aimed at British soldiers but on reflection am not sure if the soldier thing is a guarantee of comfort. Can't help but wonder if squaddie comfort is a prime consideration for the British Army knowing some of the dodgy protective kit the poor grunts have sometimes been issued with.
Personally I'd be happy with a bag that was comfortable to -5C as long as I was confident that it would maintain that performance.
I went for the -15C comfort rated one to provide a buffer but cannot help but be a bit doubtful.

Petrichorwheels

Are they still made in silsden West Yorkshire?
Or just QC in UK?

Some Snugpak stuff is still made in Silsden - other cheaper bags (maybe with same supposed rating) are made in China. They are generally quite straight about which is which.
I do wonder if the Chinese made stuff may be just as good in performance.
Both my Snugpak bags are technically British made seconds - first ex display I think, other had a small tear I decided I could live with/sort. Neither fault should affect performance/provide a cop-out from claimed temp ratings.

classic33

Leg End Member
saying
Does it have a name?

Can I ask what's the lowest temperature you have comfortably used it down to?
Have heard all sorts of things about Snugpak bags - some saying great, some saying not bad but that their temperature ratings are fantasy (tactful word).
I recently acquired a Snugpak bag that claims to be good to minus 15 but cannot help but be doubtful.
It managed OK on a recent sleep out down to +3 but had the idea that it might be approaching its limit.
Was using a Paratex liner, though not sure if that adds warmth.
May add another liner.
And other stuff.
Mine is supposed to be a premium model made for/aimed at British soldiers but on reflection am not sure if the soldier thing is a guarantee of comfort. Can't help but wonder if squaddie comfort is a prime consideration for the British Army knowing some of the dodgy protective kit the poor grunts have sometimes been issued with.
Personally I'd be happy with a bag that was comfortable to -5C as long as I was confident that it would maintain that performance.
I went for the -15C comfort rated one to provide a buffer but cannot help but be a bit doubtful.
Been down to minus 10 in the Lake District. March 94.
Prefer the Ultimate sleeping bags, four season.

Petrichorwheels

Been down to minus 10 in the Lake District. March 94.
Prefer the Ultimate sleeping bags, four season.

minus 10 very impressive indeed (though I can't imagine getting out of a tent to cycle after such a night - don't like to ride on ice.
Can you give us the FULL name of this Snugpack wonder Classic?
I would be more than happy with it.
Am also intrigued - what does this "Ultimate" (also interested in full name) bag give you that the Snugpak good-to-minus-10 doesn't?

classic33

Leg End Member
minus 10 very impressive indeed (though I can't imagine getting out of a tent to cycle after such a night - don't like to ride on ice.
Can you give us the FULL name of this Snugpack wonder Classic?
I would be more than happy with it.
Am also intrigued - what does this "Ultimate" (also interested in full name) bag give you that the Snugpak good-to-minus-10 doesn't?
Full name was a Snugpak 12. Now used on a four season bag.
Ultimate the preferred because I've used a few over the years.

Petrichorwheels

We've got a brace of top notch mountain equipment down bags for winter.
A notch down from the himalayan / arctic range but really fluffy down, slightly elastic sides which keep you snug, and water resistant to protect from drips (not for sleeping in the rain!). First time out we were camping in the snow in North Wales and it was I think -8C inside the tent. Cozy warm but did need it fully zipped up including the hood. Claims confort to -10 and "transition" down to -17C which presumably would be OK with jumpers and johns on. Here's what it says on the package

I think you get what you pay for so if going for winter down I would get a proper brand. Ours were a so-say deal in last year's colour or whatever, maybe £250 each, but that was ten years ago.

View attachment 668775

How much has it been used? Has it maintained its quoted performance? I do have an old mountain equipment synthetic bag. Always impressed with though is definitely not a winter bag. Not sure what performance it claimed, don't live with it at the moment.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
How much has it been used? Has it maintained its quoted performance? I do have an old mountain equipment synthetic bag. Always impressed with though is definitely not a winter bag. Not sure what performance it claimed, don't live with it at the moment.

Not used a lot, but has been used, and it's still 100%. My previous down bag has detoriorated significantly but it's a lesser brand, been used a lot and is well over 30 years old

Top Bottom