So how do you let go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I started well. Getting some cheap reasonable quality bikes, totally stripping and rebuilding and selling people good basic bikes, much better than supermarket BSOs at a decent price

But I keep getting one that's a bit better....and can't let it go

Most recent one is a retro M-Trax MTB with shafted wheels that TOTALLY suited my same-era Exage/Campag Stheno wheels. Just needs a chain and cables to finish and....I've already decided it's my latest n+1.

I need to stop! How do you break that n+1 habit?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Die?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
you dont , i started out buying the odd 2nd hand bike and after using it myself for a few weeks and doing all required work as i found out what was and wasnt working i would then sell it on .

5 years later and well over 120 bikes later still doing it and enjoying it , have tried to concentrate on older retro 70 - 90's steel road bikes and have owned some real great bikes along the , not one of them has been kept long term .

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I was changing bikes like the paper in the birdcage, but now I have the "Home Fleet" pretty well dialed in, and the for sale/trade group is what changes. And I flip pretty fast. I owned a Schwinn Sierra for 2 hours yesterday. I go to a few garage sales per week, and I also know some fellows who drive around in trucks gathering metals for recycling. As Mrs. GA says, "At least you have a self supporting hobby".

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
So Mrs. GA keeps on supporting (mightily) the cycling efforts, and so I have fundz to keep on fighting the war against the compactor down at Mr Tick's metal recyclers, and keeping some great and worthy frame from the electric arc furnace at Keystone Steel and Wire. Mrs. GA's been known to aid and abet interceptions of the local garbage haulers by spotting curbside worthies as well. So keeping the hobby in the black is just my little way of helping.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Or you become a bike mechanic. It's what I've done and it's gone from being a hobby to being a hobby that pays for itself to the point where I'm looking to make it my living. Going well so far. :smile:

Top Bottom