So how has your 2021 cycling year been?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Certainly a better year than last, when I did just over 500 miles in the year.
A Whitehaven-Tynemouth Coast to Coast in May was tough due to the lack of miles put in over the previous 14 months.
Then my office reopened for three days a week in June which meant a return to a 20 miles/day commute. The fitness quickly returned and the lockdown weight lost.
When my annual July Dutch tour was cancelled for the second year (paid for two years ago!), I booked a second Coast to Coast for September to see what difference the commute had made.
Joy of joys - a lot easier and thus more enjoyable.
Also 5 FNRttCs to Brighton, King's Lynn, Cambridge, Blackpool and Shoreham, and a handful of Sunday London rides.
Should do 2,300 miles by the end of the year, and with the hope that the Dutch tour can resume next year. Who knows?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Catching up with the thread it's interesting how many mention motivation in one form or another.

I've always been highly motivated but in 2021 this has dropped very considerably in all aspects of my life. I'm sure it's the impact of Covid and the changes it has brought.

In cycling terms if I was a solo rider I would have packed up. On too many occasions the only reason I've gone out was because I had committed to joining others. Of course once out I enjoyed the rides. There have been many occasions when I've seriously considered selling my bikes and packing up.

Chapeau and kudos to all of you who are riding solo. Whatever miles you've ridden you achieved a lot. 👏 I don't believe I could ride solo now though I am trying to stick with a training programme which involves some short solo rides.

Trickedem

Guru
A disappointing year in some ways. The lowest mileage for 11 years. Chronic lack of fitness and a bit of lost mojo.
On the positive side I got a new Ti Gravel bike, which has been great. I did a wonderful tour with @ianrauk @rb58 @akabob from Edinburgh to London. I completed my 11th year of the Cyclechat Century a Month Challenge. And finally I have explored loads of new places in Kent and have nearly achieved my goal of doing every velotile in Kent.
1640256486591.png

davidphilips

Veteran
Had to post this as i think this cyclist deserves great praise hes a great guy sorry can not add the link but this is a copy of his post in our club forum.

Final total for the year after my cancer treatment ended last December. Never give up prostate cancer can be beaten if you fight it early. I'd advise all my friends of a certain age do get a quick check. It's a pain in the hole but only for a few seconds.... some may even enjoy it
1f92a.png

9UsnVE&tn=5Jw6PdrJnPaoNJi8&_nc_ht=scontent.fbhd1-1.jpg

114You, Eric Blayney, Andrew Robert and 111 others

26 comments

Comment

Mike_P

Guru
The Spa premises are down a backstreet and round the back of some industrial buildings. My cousin and I took a while to find them!
First left after the level crossing when heading east (or rather north-east at that point) on the A59, right to the end of the road and down a long access to the right. In the opposite direction its the turning immediately after the Prince of Wales pub.

I did 2951.07 miles with 154,466ft climbed although 421.43 miles / 29,980ft was on the ebike.
Non - ebike longest was 71.96 miles / 115.81km

johnnyb47

Guru
It started off quite well. After January was out of the way I was put on furlough which gave plenty of time for cycling.As summer came this kept the momentum up , but as work started picking up and the lack of staff due to them either leaving or being made redundant it got pretty intense trying to cover the extra work load.
So feeling knackered every night after work cycling has slowly taken a nose dive the last few months.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Been a poor 2021……2 rides, less than 30miles. But most of miles over past few years have been commuter miles and as a now work from home, since march 2020, its been difficult to get out and ride.

Also i have been doing a lot of work projects around the house and garden, thats kept me busy and entertained. Lets hope in 2022 i can get out and ride more.

Lots of weekend cycling trips in Flanders, Belgium, sometimes crossing over into Holland and Germany. As covid prevented travel, or fires burned in the Mediterranean, we were amazed to find quiet and calm trails. One highlight was a lake you can cycle/walk through, and a huge dam near Eupen. Another more sobering discovery was a youth hostel we booked in Langemark, BE which backed onto the German Military Cemete

ry.

Top Bottom