So how has your 2021 cycling year been?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Had arranged with a friend doing a delivery to Bulgaria to fill his remaining space with me and my touring bike so I could ride back up through Europe.

Just became too complicated with all the different covid regulations there and back.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Fewer miles this year largely down to almost no commuting as well as no NL tour :sad:. I normally hit 3000 miles but so far I’m only at 2175.

The worst bit was losing my main bike (cracked frame) in May after 42,000 miles.

The highlight was buying a new bike, from the wonderful Spa Cyles in Harrogate and riding it home to East Anglia. Here’s a pic of the bike in the shop just before I jumped aboard and headed south. Happy Christmas everyone.

View attachment 623021
I looked at the photo before reading the text , I thought :eek: that’s a really impressive home workshop .
I’m planning a visit to Spa early next year , so pleased too see you describe them as wonderful.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Pretty good. I accompanied a friend for about half of his LEJoG (I actually did Weymouth - York as the practicalities of getting to LE defeated me) My friend is much fitter and faster than me so it was hard work keeping up, even though I suspect he was taking it easy.

Apart from that the evil @ColinJ lured me into one of his challenges that involved spending hours devising complicated routes and then riding up as many hills as possible.

Next year I'm planning to return to the Imperial Century a Month challenge, after two years' absence. And freed from the influence of @ColinJ I might even get to change up into the big ring.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Apart from that the evil @ColinJ lured me into one of his challenges that involved spending hours devising complicated routes and then riding up as many hills as possible.
Ha - fooled you - I didn't bother! :okay:

The spirit was willing, but the flesh was weak, or was it the other way round? :whistle: Either way, BOTH were required simultaneously and that didn't happen very often.

2022 WILL be better, unless force majeure prevents that.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I looked at the photo before reading the text , I thought :eek: that’s a really impressive home workshop .
I’m planning a visit to Spa early next year , so pleased too see you describe them as wonderful.

I wish! Sadly, my 'workshop' is the kitchen when my wife is out! Spa are ace- you won't be disappointed.

bruce1530

Guru
It's been a bit rubbish for me. Complete lack of motivation recently.

I've done the "50k ride every month" challenge for the last 5 years. This year, I'm still maybe on course to complete it, if I can get a 50 in between now and next weekend. But for the last 3 months, it's really only been one ride a month.

I'm sitting at about 1900km for the year, last year was double that. It started off OK, but tailed off in the summer.

Highlight was my first 100-miler, and my first overnight ride - the Carlisle-Edinburgh "Ride to the Sun". That should have been the impetus I needed to keep things going... but wasn't :smile:

Onwards and upwards - next year will be better.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Another satisfied Spa customer here.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
At the time of writing I've recorded 3788 miles for the year which is my lowest for a few years but isn't too shabby really.

It's been a very mixed year. I've often struggled with motivation but will then have bursts of enthusiasm and manage 150 or 200 miles in a week. Completing the Lunacy Challenge was a great help to make me go out and keep up with longer rides, particularly as I was starting it with almost half the year already gone.

Something that didn't help this year was that it felt like I couldn't get the best out of the bikes and I was getting frequent issues with cramp, even on some fairly modest rides. Lots of tinkering with saddle set up has meant that I've got the last few 100km rides completed without too much issue and I even managed a 100 miler yesterday which gives me a lot more confidence for next year.:hyper:

I'm intending to have another go at the Imperial Century A Month Challenge and it would be nice if I could get the overall mileage up around 5200 for next year, but we'll see how that goes.

Last edited:
Hit and misses for this year and reflective of the previous year shortly after Covid struck. Getting used to WFH, break in routine, closed cafes and shops etc.

From daily runs to 2 to 3 times a week. Picked up a new bike in May to get better motivated. Came tubeless and disc brakes so a bit of experimenting. Disc brakes had no issues once I got the rear one aligned properly. Tubeless however is another story. Drops to 40psi after 2 runs.

On the roads, I no longer see familiar faces of the past year. I gather they too have been impacted. Maybe no longer riding to work due to WFH.

Admire those who stayed the course hell or high water.

Top Bottom