So how many barrow/upright/racing trike riders do we have

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
As a rider of a barrow or upright trike, I am wondering how many of us here ride similar? Are you aware of their existence and the fact they are still made and ridden? It seems the CTC have forgotten about us and Sustrans don't really know of us and many that do assume we are all physically impaired in some way.

Sharky

Guru
Have a tandem trike in the garage. Was bought to take my autistic daughter out, but she no longer likes it, so does not get used much now. But great fun to ride.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I haven't seen an upright trike for donkey's years. You always used to come across a few in time trials back in the day, and many events had a special category for trikes.

I guess most people who venture onto three wheels now go down the recumbent route?

OP
OP
thegravestoneman

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
700ish of us in the Tricycle Association alone, there are still records being set by some of the fast lads and TTs are still attended both trike specific and 'bike' events. Not so many Criteriums these days but you can still find them. Some excellent new trikes are still built and older ones come up often. The joy a few tight bends at speed is 'special' and often a spectacular sight to see. Most do think of recumbents these days when trikes are mentioned and we race against them too, but it's another form of cycling and not to be forgotten.

Sharky, Gravestoneman my trade and how some remember me.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I ride an upright, bought for physiotherapy after I broke my femur and then fitted with an electric kit after I found that I couldn't get back up the hill I live on top of. Mine is only an utility trike though so is a bit of a hefty old hector great fun.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I used to ride barrows in the 80s. Spent a year riding fixed trike. That was interesting. I still
get mildly irritated when someone starts a trike thread and I discover they mean recumbent.

martint235

Dog on a bike
There was at least one on LEL 2013. I don't know if he finished but I remember riding alongside him for a bit on the way north.

starhawk

I do still have an upright Mountain bike, but I haven't used it for years. It has been gathering dust since I bought my trike. It is still there because I havent found a buyer

screenman

Legendary Member
You might have ridden at the trike weekend my club runs in Lincoln, possible you even know of some of our madder trike owners, myself not being one as I still have a brain.^_^

Sharky

Guru
With another daughter .....

P4300066.JPG

Sharky

Guru
grand looking machine Sharky, Is it a conversion kit? bet you get noticed when it's out. I'll have to dig out a photo of mine, 30 odd years ago
Got it secondhand years ago. It started life as a Peugeot two wheel tandem and a previous owner had welded on the back end axle. Certainly gets noticed, my kids have left home now, so doesn't get used much. But my grandkids will be of the right age soon, and when they visit, if they spot it in the garage!

Top Bottom