So how many recumbent riders have we?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darking

Regular
Hello all, I have bought Streetmachine GT and now am having a stupid grin on my face all the time! If anyone says " can I ask you a question?" I say yes, yes and yes. they say "What?" my response is yes you can ask, yes learning to balance is difficult and yes it is as comfortable as it looks. My steepest learning curve to date has to be the Elephant and Castles roundabout, however, and I survived that

Recycle

Über Member
Hello all, I have bought Streetmachine GT and now am having a stupid grin on my face all the time!
Well done. That's a good commuter & it's bomb proof.
Enjoy it!

darking

Regular
Thanks recycle, I have pimped it up a bit with bottles, bar tape (under seat bars) and spd pedals. I love the cheers and jeers I get as I go to workand especially the extra passing gap from cars. Just one thing, would it be unpatriotic to put up a buggy whip with an american flag?

darking

Regular
American? No! I am a South African, living in England, riding a German bike. its just that's the only flag I have at present

darking

Regular
I have a question though, for a steep(for me) hill like Shooters Hill, I struggle a bit, do I need a lower bottom gear or just a lot more TITS. (Time In The Saddle)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have a question though, for a steep(for me) hill like Shooters Hill, I struggle a bit, do I need a lower bottom gear or just a lot more TITS. (Time In The Saddle)

Most people would struggle with Shooters Hill, whatever bike they are riding.

Recycle

Über Member
Possibly both, it depends what speed you are doing. You can't gear too low or you lose stability. I find I can go down to 4mph before things get very shaky. Time in saddle is critical though because you need to develop the muscles for a recumbent. I have a HPV speedmachine and the German recumbents are comfortable and robust but you pay a penalty in weight. That will always be a handicap going up hills.

GrasB

Veteran
Struggle how? Balance or just not got enough strength to get up it? If you feel like you're running out of gears then you may need lower gears. If it's balance you may do better going up a gear or two up at a lower cadence.

darking

Regular
Struggle how? Balance or just not got enough strength to get up it? If you feel like you're running out of gears then you may need lower gears. If it's balance you may do better going up a gear or two up at a lower cadence.
Balance is sorted, I have a +/- 20 mile commute each day with Shooters Hill at both ends of my trip and I have to grit my teeth and winch my way up. I put a fair bit of training at home in the evening on a turbo trainer to work on my recumbent muscles with a fairly stiff resistance setting, so I'll try your lower cadence suggestion and see how it goes

Recycle

Über Member
20 miles is a good size commute. That distance alone should be sufficient training without the turbo trainer, make sure you give your legs recovery time.
My own preference is a high cadence on hills, but experiment yourself.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Well as some of you may have read previously, due to a long term shoulder problem I gave up riding "normal cycles" and got a somewhat ancient old Linear recumbent. Initially this got me back out cycling again and was much easier on the shoulders and I was managing up to 50 miles - but then my right shoulder became even more inflamed and even the micro movements of balancing was painful and I found even riding the Linear was out of the question. So after a long ride on New Year's day, the Linear has sat unused ever since.
Since then, I have become increasing frustrated at not being able to get out cycling (although the crap weather was some consolation) not to mention concerned to see my weight creeping upwards on an almost weekly basis.
I started to wonder whether a trike would be the answer and was much encouraged haven spoken to Kevin at D Tek Cycles at little Thetford near Ely, who kindly invited me to go over and have a look at his stock and try a test run. The only problem with this was that I recently needed to buy a new car and so my finances are overstretched at present and I know I would not be able to convince my wife to put upwards of £700 on my plastic.... :-(
Well then last week I saw an old "Trice" advertised on Gum Tree for £400......so I now have a pre ICE Trice (as made by Crystal Engineering) It is not immaculate, and at some stage I will give it a good strip down and paint - but it is nice to ride and I can ride it one handed with no balance problems. Maiden voyage was yesterday evening - a short jaunt of 15 miles and once again I am a happy bunny!
Now I need to make some room in my garage (as well as placating my long suffering wife!) so is anyone interested in my Linear?
I will post details in the classified section......

GrasB

Veteran
Balance is sorted, I have a +/- 20 mile commute each day with Shooters Hill at both ends of my trip and I have to grit my teeth and winch my way up. I put a fair bit of training at home in the evening on a turbo trainer to work on my recumbent muscles with a fairly stiff resistance setting, so I'll try your lower cadence suggestion and see how it goes
Lower cadence is a solution which may work when balance is the problem when climbing. If you're just finding it physically hard then a lower cadence will make things worse.

Top Bottom