So how many recumbent riders have we?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
There is a trike in Leicester, I thought it was an electric wheelchair at first and stopped to let it by. I was on the cycle path and it was dark and all I saw where these low lights coming at me!

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Swapped perished and balding rear tyre for a Schwalbe Marathon - seeing as it was a hassle dropping the wheel out in the warmth of my garage this was a very good idea - fixing a puncture out on the road would have been a lot less pleasant a task.
33 miles today - not bad for my 3rd trip out after my long break. Speed up to 11.3 mph so improving......(never was fast) Hills felt a little easier too and I managed one that I used to struggle getting up on my Triban. Last 5 miles or so I felt like I was getting cramp in top of my thighs - so have tweaked the set up a little - I have moved the crank forwards about 1cm and moved my cleats back about the same - so will see how I feel tomorrow (mind you the cold weather doesn't help.....
.I hope the weather stays adequate for a further trip out tomorrow with a couple of friends.

I seem to be spending more time building bikes lately than riding them! Amongst my collection, a FWD home built low racer, a RWD home built low racer (now cut up for another project), and a FWD LWB hi racer project in progress which I hope to use this summer for my first ever Audax, the 2013 LEL . I also have a Metaphysic RWD hi racer that I used for a 3400km tour de France this summer. Great bike, brilliant trip!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
:welcome: to CC Mr Fitz - shame you have to live in the warmer parts :heat: of Europe ^_^
The average daily temperature ranges between 5°C to 6°C (January) and 21.9°C (July). The city experiences an average of 300 days of sunshine and not more than the 91 days of rain. The dry but pleasant summers bring a light continuous breeze. Also, winter season offers full sunshine and autumns are radiant and sunny.
Someone has to do it ! :bravo:

I am still at the potential stage - safety is the big concern for me - i live in an area with lots of traffic - and when I get out into the lanes - theres plenty of 10% hills ! - Dunno if its feasible ? - Im a pretty nervous cyclist at the best of times. unfortunately I have developed a sitting pain problem - which has baffled the medical profession for almost 2 years now..... or else I would still be on my DF !!

Recycle

Über Member
10% gradient is steep but how much of a challenge it is depends on how long the gradient is. Ditchling Beacon is an average gradient of 8.4% over about a mile. For me that's a leg and lung buster and there's no question that I could do it easier on a DF because of the ability to climb out the saddle. On any gradient where you don't need to climb out of the saddle though I think that my climbing rate on a bent and a DF would be the same, with about the same level of exertion. That's not to say that 10% should put you off. Any hill I'm prepared to commute up on a DF I would do on a bent. Ditchling is only an issue because you have to climb that gradient over the distance of a mile.

Safety on a bent IMO is better than a DF because the fall dynamics are different, there's lower risk of head injury and broken bones. Also, if you collide with something you are feet first which is better than being catapulted head first.

And the downhill's make it all worthwhile. On an urban road cars will be in your way when you descend a 10% gradient, .

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
My experience is that, on a 'bent, you get given more room when being overtaken by cars. :smile:

YMMV, depending on your area and the 'novelty value' of seeing 'bent riders.

byegad

Legendary Member
My experience is that, on a 'bent, you get given more room when being overtaken by cars. :smile:

YMMV, depending on your area and the 'novelty value' of seeing 'bent riders.

Yes I get that too. Riding in Co' Durham, North Yorkshire, North Yorks Moors, Yorkshire Dales, Northumberland, and Shropshire the reactions are the same. Drivers slow down, wait and/or then give a wide berth, I even get let out of junctions in town! All of this is very different from my DF experiences.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I got tooted by a truck driver going over the Forth Road Bridge ... I was on the cycle path, he was on the road coming towards me, tooting his horn and giving a big :thumbsup: and a cheery wave !

starhawk

there's no question that I could do it easier on a DF because of the ability to climb out the saddle.

Not really true, on a DF you can only use your weight on the pedals, on the trike you have the seat on your back which means that you can use your leg muscles full out. A friend of mine tested it and he could easily press his weight + 10 kp with one leg at the time

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Not really true, on a DF you can only use your weight on the pedals, on the trike you have the seat on your back which means that you can use your leg muscles full out. A friend of mine tested it and he could easily press his weight + 10 kp with one leg at the time

I'll vouch for that. Ever tried to move a wardrobe? Sit on the floor, put your back against the skirting, brace your feet against it and push. Try it again without the wall and see how you fair. Alternatively, come chase me up a hill some day :smile:

Recycle

Über Member
It went OK and I kept pace with the DF that were with me. I think the problem with my recumbent is not hills at all, but classic German over engineering. I suspect the only bike heavier than mine was Kimble's (a streetmachine and she was carrying panniers).

Top Bottom