So how many recumbent riders have we?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Lean back into the seat and "relax".
The more tense you are the harder it is to control.
Start out gently and before long you'll be whizzing along wondering what all the fuss was about.

Take it easy downhill until you get a bit of experience on it. I took my new (old) streetmachine out for the first proper ride that's not on cycle paths mostly. One proper hill I went both ways on and scared myself silly coming down. Checked my speed out at the end and I'd reached only 30mph but it felt so dangerous. I got to that speed so easily too. Freewheeling.

Reason it felt scary was I tensed up and caused a bit of a wobble.

Learning to relax sounds easy but you don't realise it when you do tense up. I'm often so relaxed I ride one handed too much and steer with my hand resting ever so lightly on top of the bar end shifters that they don't shift with the weight of the touch. But downhill I had to put both hands on bars and tensed up too easily. It's really not as easy as telling yourself to relax IME. You have to get used to it and relax through experience.

Enjoy your bike! Have fun and join the dark side.

BikeEs aren't above a little go faster modding...

BE1B2D11-61F9-459E-816D-507DE9BBE3A7.jpeg

BikeE AT with 2x20” wheels. Quite a bit quicker than the standard 16” (305) front wheel version, but no high racer!

On any version, swapping the original T bars for something wider and a bit more swept back pays huge dividends in handling and comfort - on my other one I just chopped off the bars and used an Ahead stem and a set of North Road bars.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
BikeEs aren't above a little go faster modding...

View attachment 413637

BikeE AT with 2x20” wheels. Quite a bit quicker than the standard 16” (305) front wheel version, but no high racer!

On any version, swapping the original T bars for something wider and a bit more swept back pays huge dividends in handling and comfort - on my other one I just chopped off the bars and used an Ahead stem and a set of North Road bars.
Not a bad idea at all. I've already looked intl the 20" wheel idea, just considering an appropriate threadless 20" fork. I do like the look of your conversion, I was afraid it would have rather a more extreme effect on the stance. Now that I consider it, I may have a complete "conversion kit" on hand in the person of a nicer old BMX I once found.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Performer JC70
Wolverhampton
Will get some pictures up soon :smile:
Well done, same here.

Sargent

I'll have to take a few, but apart from the rack it's exactly as it came. I did fit the supplied mudguards for a time, but one of the fronts split near the bracket and I couldn't stop the rear from rattling so off they came again.

Looks great

I ordered an additional seat - the mesh one - in case I wanted to fit it - but looks too much hassle

With the mudguards, they wouldnt seat right, so Ive left them.

Im going to get it out tomorrow and clean it up, and get some photos over to you!

Top Bottom