So I pushed the pin all the way out of my chain.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
.....should I even bother to keep trying to push it back in (i Think you can guess I've failed so far!)??

Feels like a waste but if it's pointless I'll just buy a new one.

Cheers,

FC
No, just buy a powerlink and use them. I hate Shimano joining pins. Kmc, SRAM, Wipperman all make them and at 2 or 3 quid each are an absolute godsend. Make sure you get the right size for your chain, as 6-8, 9 and 10 speed are all different.

No, just buy a powerlink and use them. I hate Shimano joining pins. Kmc, SRAM, Wipperman all make them and at 2 or 3 quid each are an absolute godsend. Make sure you get the right size for your chain, as 6-8, 9 and 10 speed are all different.
This :thumbsup:

I've done it myself, and I have managed to get the fecker back in but it's a real ball ache. BUT, if your chain is 10 speed you NEVER re-use the original pin once you've split it anyway. Either use the POWERLINK Cubist suggested, (best option IMO), or get a specific Shimano joining pin like THIS.

NB: all links above are to 10 speed compatible products. Also FYI, KMC, Sram and Shimano are all compatible with one another.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Nice one thanks, will have a look for them.

Whats the best way of sizing your chain?
Chain size differs depending on how many gears you have on your rear sprocket. If you have 6-8 cogs you need an 8 speed chain, 9 cogs =9 spd and 10 cogs=10 speed. It's the width of the chain that differs.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
How can you guys not get the pin back into the chain? I have done it (with some fiddling). It is doable with a bit of patience and a steady hand.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How can you guys not get the pin back into the chain? I have done it (with some fiddling). It is doable with a bit of patience and a steady hand.

It's ok on 8 speed or cheap chains, but you set yourself up for a broken chain as many pins aren't designed to be refitted, certainly not 9 or more speed. I just get KMC chains, and use the quick link. I have a DA chain on the best bike that takes a specific joining pin, which you don't reuse.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
It's ok on 8 speed or cheap chains, but you set yourself up for a broken chain as many pins aren't designed to be refitted, certainly not 9 or more speed. I just get KMC chains, and use the quick link. I have a DA chain on the best bike that takes a specific joining pin, which you don't reuse.
I always carry a chain tool in my saddle bag when I go out and if I did get a broken chain, I would simply remove the broken link. I have enough play in the chain to be able to remove just one link (although I would replace it when I got home).

Gary E

Veteran
Nobody said it couldn't be done, just that it was a ball ache!
A quick link is a much easier option.
I've done it by assembling the chain, resting it on a solid surface (vice in the shed) and holding the pin in some needle nosed pliers and driving it in with a hammer.
Like I said - a quick link is a lot easier :laugh:

Gary E

Veteran
I always carry a chain tool in my saddle bag when I go out and if I did get a broken chain, I would simply remove the broken link. I have enough play in the chain to be able to remove just one link (although I would replace it when I got home).
Don't you mean 2 links? If you remove just one then you'd have to join your chain male-to-male, ooer!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I can happily say I have never broken a chain (I hope there isn't a chain goblin). Yes if one broke whilst out, I'd just remove the links and refit, but the chain would be in the bin once home. It's not wise to break and re-join chains. Hence using a quick link.

Top Bottom