So I tried a Decathlon Trainer out.........ugh!!.....which raises one question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
In my quest to determine which trainer is best for me I looked in to Decathlon and they had one set up c/w bike.
So I sat on and tried it............it was the exact opposite of smooth.
In their defence.........it was perhaps their cheapest model & the bike was not my size but it really was bad.
Which raises just one question.............................
...............How much do I have to spend to get one that feels like riding a bike should do ?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I got the Cycleops Fluid Trainer which is fairly quiet and feels a lot like really riding a bike. Very sturdy bit of kit too.

Trouble is it's £200

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
In fairness, I've never owned a turbo that really felt actually riding a bike. I suppose it's more a question of riding one that doesn't feel like a coffee grinder. I've heard one or two people say that the lemond revolution trainer has a realistic feel but I'm sceptical, and cheap it is not.

Rollers probably give a better overall ride feel but even that is quite artificial, like riding slightly downhill on very smooth, narrow tarmac. They're also less versatile if you want to "train with power", as the resistance range is more limited.

A cheap turbo is probably a false economy if you intend to use it regularly as they need to cope with some serious forces, both through the resistance unit and keeping you and the bike upright. +1 for the cyclops fluid pro - I had one of these for a few years before I bought a Kickr and it was a very solid bit of kit with a useful progressive resistance curve.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Dk if this any good, or a v good deal, from a mail shot

http://www.highonbikes.com/tacx-blu...341900829&mc_cid=40eb0f93d3&mc_eid=c3632f09d4

£105 elsewhere
I've no direct experience although it seems like a reasonable deal. I'm no fan of turbos with manual resistance setting gizmos. It's just more to go wrong, the cable gets in the way and ultimately you're paying extra for the mechanicals. Your gears should give you enough resistance range at most cadences.

In my quest to determine which trainer is best for me I looked in to Decathlon and they had one set up c/w bike.
So I sat on and tried it............it was the exact opposite of smooth.
In their defence.........it was perhaps their cheapest model & the bike was not my size but it really was bad.
Which raises just one question.............................
...............How much do I have to spend to get one that feels like riding a bike should do ?
Considering the condition of the roads I would imagine your experience is what a lot of us are having to deal with.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've been looking at these, with me retiring shortly I'm thinking I might start training again.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cctqr-bike-trainer/

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I've been looking at these, with me retiring shortly I'm thinking I might start training again.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cctqr-bike-trainer/
I would be interested to read others comments on that (if anyone has used one).
As per my OP I tried a cheap one and it really was awful.........I would hate to spend £70then not use it cos its so poor.
I'm inclined towards spending more on a fluid trainer.

midlife

Guru
Guy at work has been going on about how good his turbo trainer is...... Just checked on the model (tacx vortex) at Wiggl and its £250.

Shaun

Top Bottom