Cheapi(ish) treadmills....anyone tried one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
As many are aware long covid has severely damaged my muscles to the point that, some days, even walking around the house is very difficult.
My thinking is (particularly over winter) a lightweight treadmill might help.
That way I can maybe do 20 minutes in the morning.
I have seen a few "foldaway" models at less than £200.
Bear in mind.....I won't be running/jogging, just gentle walking.
Any thoughts on it ?

Jameshow

Veteran
I cannot see why not!

A more expensive one will only be too big and heavy.

alicat

Legendary Member
I'd rather walk round the block for 20 mins or go for a bimble on my bike than walk on a treadmill.

I've had some sessions on one recently and five mins was plenty. Way too boring!

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I'd rather walk round the block for 20 mins or go for a bimble on my bike than walk on a treadmill.

I've had some sessions on one recently and five mins was plenty. Way too boring!

Not much help to me as I can no longer ride and some days struggle to walk.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Not much help to me as I can no longer ride and some days struggle to walk.

A cheap treadmill would be ideal for you Dave. You can just do as long as you feel up to then hop off. I know we all say it’s nicer getting out if possible, but if you’re struggling there’s nothing worse than being a mile from home and the legs have had enough. :hugs:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you've space, then why not, but how about just getting up a bit more on bad days and walking round the house or garden. When I bust my back, the docs said try a small walk each day, but don't go too far so that you can't get back - so it started by walking to the nearest lamp post and back. Next time, I'd try the next lamp post along the road, and so on.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
A cheap treadmill would be ideal for you Dave. You can just do as long as you feel up to then hop off. I know we all say it’s nicer getting out if possible, but if you’re struggling there’s nothing worse than being a mile from home and the legs have had enough. :hugs:

Very true Mo.
My neighbour/friend has said that if I want to walk eg to the pub but don't feel able to walk back I can phone him and he will come for me. Very kind.
I am hoping that daily use of a treadmill will help.

Drago

Legendary Member
We had a cheapish one. Part of the casing cracked within days of having it, so it went back. I think it's the sort of thing that takes a battering even with a light weight user so probably best to get a decent one.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
If you've space, then why not, but how about just getting up a bit more on bad days and walking round the house or garden. When I bust my back, the docs said try a small walk each day, but don't go too far so that you can't get back - so it started by walking to the nearest lamp post and back. Next time, I'd try the next lamp post along the road, and so on.

Yep, I do similar. Won't do much over winter though.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I'd try to get one that at least has some programmes, so you can vary the incline, speed etc. Perhaps a better second hand one? I can't imagine anything new for £200 will be very advanced or robust. This company has a good range but nothing sub £600ish, where have you seen for £200?
https://www.gymequipmentsuperstore.co.uk/cardio/treadmills/folding-treadmills

Lots of ads when I Google it.
My requirements are simple...........
Slow walking
Possible slight incline
A rail to hold onto
I think they all have varied speed.
I will try and post a link.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member

Tenkaykev

Guru
Lots of ads when I Google it.
My requirements are simple...........
Slow walking
Possible slight incline
A rail to hold onto
I think they all have varied speed.
I will try and post a link.

I'm not sure if all treadmills have them, but a clip that attaches to your clothing and does an emergency stop are useful if you do come a cropper

Jameshow

Veteran
We brought a decent one for £100 it needed 4 people to lift down into the cellar! Works well and the kids love it when for a bit of space from rest of us!!

Top Bottom