Cheapi(ish) treadmills....anyone tried one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Emanresu

Have you had a word with your local GP surgery. Had an issue with a torn ligament and was referred to the local gym for sessions using treadmills plus lots of other stuff. Had people guiding and measuring progress, so under supervision. Cost was about £6 / visit.

Place was warm. There were other people there to talk to. And TV's on walls or built into the treadmills as a diversion from the grind. Peloton type stuff there too.

The scheme was for those recovering from cardiac arrest so no fear of you over exerting yourself.

vickster

Legendary Member

You'll definitely want with a handle and emergency cut off and if you're walking, you'll want incline otherwise you might as well just walk around the garden/house! Doesn't look like those cheap ones do anything other than boring flat

Sharky

Guru
Do you have self referral options with your local hospitals physio department?

I've used the service following fractures and they advise certain exercise routines. You'll probably only get a telephone call, but it's another source of advice.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Have you had a word with your local GP surgery. Had an issue with a torn ligament and was referred to the local gym for sessions using treadmills plus lots of other stuff. Had people guiding and measuring progress, so under supervision. Cost was about £6 / visit.

Place was warm. There were other people there to talk to. And TV's on walls or built into the treadmills as a diversion from the grind. Peloton type stuff there too.

The scheme was for those recovering from cardiac arrest so no fear of you over exerting yourself.

Yes.....plus numerous hospital visits and scans (waiting for another one now).
Also spent 8 hours in the hospital Frailty Clinic.
Apparently I have lost 3 1/2 stone, mainly muscle. Diagnosis is Long Covid so they cannot offer any cure.
So......15 minutes on a treadmill might help, hopefully.

Jameshow

Veteran
Apparently I have lost 3 1/2 stone, mainly muscle. Diagnosis is Long Covid so they cannot offer any cure.

How about joining a walking group, even if you don't do the full walk you could turn back to the coffee shop early perhaps with some else in a similar situation and the cake will help with weight loss.
I have a 80yo chap post cancer and he had to stop at every bench but has now recovered and walks beyond my walk!

DRHysted

Guru
Dreadmills are ideal for coming back from an injury, as they are a controlled exercise that can be halted whenever needed. I can’t help regarding the cheap ones as I bought mine some years ago and I think it was near £700 at the time, and nowadays it’s only used when I’m coming back from an injury.
But if you can get one that suits your needs, then go for it.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
If you have someone to help collect it, I'd look on FB marketplace. My sister bought one of those ski ones where your arms and legs move, can't think of the word. Ah cross trainer. She paid 1800 new and eventually got rid after barely using it and charged 150!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
A couple of years ago - just before Covid, I think - I was organizing a run/walk indoor event for a charity.
On Ebay I saw a local charity shop that was selling a folding threadmill for £20.
It served the purpose well, many folks walked and ran on it for several weeks, including me.
The threadmill is still in use nowadays for similar events.
It had various speeds and resistance settings.
I would have a look in your bigger charity shops first, home gym equipment appears quite often in my local ones.
I am hoping that daily use of a treadmill will help.
I think it will.
When, in 2020 I injured my knee so badly that I could hardly walk, I used a borrowed basic bike trainer.
Put my bike on it, pedaled in comfort and security at home, about a year later I was back commuting by bike.
You can do it!

albion

Guru

If your balance holds up an ebike might be the way to go. Far easier than walking for me.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
If your balance holds up an ebike might be the way to go. Far easier than walking for me.

My balance was, sadly, the 1st thing to (noticeably) go ie 'simply' fell over twice while playing golf and then just, literally, fell off my bike in the road.
Sadly cycling is not an option.
Thank you for the thought though.

albion

Guru
Thought about a cross trainer?
Some are cheap plus ebay is littered with near unused ones.

I once had a situation, shortly after rising when both legs just crumpled. That was before I was near fully on top of my breathing allergies, at least I hope.
Am sure my heart had struggled to much in compensating for none oxygen.
Hepa filters ensure the air is more optimum. I also use a dehumidifier, though that is noisy at night.
Edit - I was also in a polluted, for me, work environment at the time.

The hepa filter thing is interesting, like vaccines, it possible, the older you get, the more useful they become.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My balance was, sadly, the 1st thing to (noticeably) go ie 'simply' fell over twice while playing golf and then just, literally, fell off my bike in the road.
Sadly cycling is not an option.
Thank you for the thought though.

How about a recumbent trike? No balance problems and easy to stop for a rest. More expensive but an e motor is also possible.
After my kidney op some years ago I could hardly walk but walked from our shop to a spot where there was a handy wall to sit on when I stopped to rest before the return to base.
This was outside the Hydro Board shop and the girl who worked there told me later she was terrified that I might die outside her shop. :ohmy:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
How about a recumbent trike? No balance problems and easy to stop for a rest. More expensive but an e motor is also possible.
After my kidney op some years ago I could hardly walk but walked from our shop to a spot where there was a handy wall to sit on when I stopped to rest before the return to base.
This was outside the Hydro Board shop and the girl who worked there told me later she was terrified that I might die outside her shop. :ohmy:

As an addition to the suggestion of a trike I would suggest a single front wheel one like a Kettwiessel as much easier to get into.
I have both a Tadpole and a Delta and the Kett. is much easier if you have balance problems.

Top Bottom