So I went out for a drive...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
I am at a loss as to why we would be interested in this. This is everyday driving on roads wherever you are. If you dont like it. Dont drive.

When cycling you will see similar things. Riders on pavements, going through red lights, no hands on handlebars, using mobile phones. The list is endless.

So what? This is the norm these days. Dont let it stress you.

Actually yes this is true about cyclists as well. I did make a similar thread for dodgy cyclists a few years ago (riding with no lights and the other things you mentioned).

But I wasnt stressed (driving or riding) - just observing. :okay:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
My understanding about parking abandoning one's car in any place whatsoever irrespective of yellow lines, signage etc is that as long and your hazard warning lights are on you are fire proof.

D

Deleted member 26715

My understanding about parking abandoning one's car in any place whatsoever irrespective of yellow lines, signage etc is that as long and your hazard warning lights are on you are fire proof.

I thought you had to have a special blue badge for that?

Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 20.51.17.png

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
I have 2 theories here, either A) You were the one going through the lights so you knew you did it, or B) You followed the car through the lights so you know he's done it.

Nope nope! He went through the red lights but I stop although shortly afterward i catch up with the driver and see him/her doing it again. :okay::okay::okay:

Dave7

Legendary Member
I thought one was not allowed to park on double yellows even with a blue badge? Single yellow only and then one has to ensure it doesnt have those perpendicular (to the road) yellow strips on the footpath.

(Shrugs) But idk.

My wife has recently gained (after a fight) a blue badge.
The rules are quite complex but as I understand it......double yellow, fine. However if there are yellows on the curb/pavement its a definite no. This registered with us as we assumed we could get her to her town centre hairdresser. No chance!! The whole town centre has yellows on the curbs:sad:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My wife has recently gained (after a fight) a blue badge.
The rules are quite complex but as I understand it......double yellow, fine. However if there are yellows on the curb/pavement its a definite no. This registered with us as we assumed we could get her to her town centre hairdresser. No chance!! The whole town centre has yellows on the curbs:sad:

I did not know the bit about the yellow on the curbs and I have no idea where my copy of the rules is to be found but it will probably be online anyway. Fortunately anywhere I am most likely to be there are no such markings but better have another check. One thing which does annoy me is people displaying a blue badge and the non disabled driver getting out for their own purposes. The badge holder is the only one supposed to get out to do chores.
Around where I live there are two spaces in front of the local chemist and delivery van drivers regard them as their own. In the local car park today scuba divers had parked their inflatable in a disabled marked space. Cannot remember ever any enforcement.

Sharky

Guru
One thing which does annoy me is people displaying a blue badge and the non disabled driver getting out for their own purposes.
Firstly, how do you know that the driver is not the blue badge holder? Some disabilities are "invisible".

Our daughter is a bluebadge holder and often refuses to leave the car and suffers from huge anxieties and self harm, should me or her mum get too far out of sight for any extended amount of time. For us being able to park near a shop or entrance is vital.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
I’m a BMW driver (have been for over 30 years) and I don’t drive (or park) like a cock, the worst drivers IMO are the 40 something Facebook Mums in their “Softroaders” they seem to all drive like nutters.

Audi S3 drivers in Bradford they know they can get down snickets where the police X5 cannot fit.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Firstly, how do you know that the driver is not the blue badge holder? Some disabilities are "invisible".

Our daughter is a bluebadge holder and often refuses to leave the car and suffers from huge anxieties and self harm, should me or her mum get too far out of sight for any extended amount of time. For us being able to park near a shop or entrance is vital.

I have a blue badge myself and perhaps I am a bit too judgemental but I have seen some very blatant misuse.
Common sense should apply and you have an obvious use for one.
My own inability to walk any significant distance is not really obvious at a cursory glance.
It was not my intention to offend so apologies are in order.

Top Bottom