So I went to the LBS earlier and..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peanut

gratts said:
Definitely not 9 speed.
Pretty sure they are 8, but not 100%!

just count the cassette sprockets . It doesn't matter too much as I'm pretty certain the left hand 8 & 7 speed levers are identical
llllllll said:
Found it. I think it's a triple

Anyway, it's free if you want it.

Ahhhhh another happy ending:biggrin:

OP
OP
G

gratts

A great ending :biggrin:

And I will do peanut - it's just the bike is in for repair so I can't right now ;)

Out of curiosity, if that Sora shifter is a triple, how much hassle is it to upgrade the bike to triple?
What would I need, just a triple chainset and a different derailleur, and I guess a bigger chain?
Say I got 'em all cheap off ebay, would it be expensive/a lot of hassle to get a LBS to upgrade it?
Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, just thoughts shooting around my head :rofl:

peanut

you would need a new front mech ,your rear mech will probably be ok if you don't change your cassette ratios. New triple chainset obviously, New bottom bracket. all new cables and possibly new chain
The cost would be in the labour at your lbs .Not sure if they would fit your cheap or used bits because they wouldn't be able to warantee their work.;)

OP
OP
G

gratts

No idea what you mean about cassette ratios :rofl:

What's the different between a dura ace chainset and a sora chainset?
Surely they're both just some metal cogs ;) Is it purely weight?

Say if I was feeling rich, and wanted to step up from the sora range to one of the more expensive ones, would I be better off getting a better front mech or a better chainset?

Is this the right sort of thing for chainset? Looks like a nice price!

PpPete

Legendary Member
gratts said:
Is this the right sort of thing for chainset? Looks like a nice price!

Probably similar quality to what you have at present so yes- but dont forget you also need one of these and one of these too. Unless the existing BB and front mech are also knackered then it's probably not worth cost & hassle of changing them. I've just changed mine to a triple - but only because my old BB & chainset needed changing anyway.

llllllll

gratts said:
if that Sora shifter is a triple,

Not so sure about it being a triple now, I packed it up last night and had a closer look. It's definately got 2 clicks, but one appears to give less movement, so it could just be a trim function (do Sora levers allow you to trim?). I can't think why I'd have a triple lever, because I've never had a triple bike.

OP
OP
G

gratts

Well I'd actually prefer it to be a double, because then it removes any niggling possibility of me wanting to upgrade everything else to make use of it being a triple! :blush:
Either way I'm happy :tongue:

Whaddya mean by a 'trim function'?

llllllll

gratts said:
Whaddya mean by a 'trim function'?

Some, usually higher end, shifters allow a 'half' shift on top of the usual one. It's so you cantrim the front derailler when on the big 'ring to stop the chain rubbing on the derailler cage.

Top Bottom