So it's true, old cyclists don't die, they simply ride into the sunset!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Bet it wasn't adorned with computers, sat navs, cameras or electronic effing shifters. Bet it wasn't made from carbon flubber either.

If it's a quality bike like a Claud Butler, and built around 1950, I'd say it's a fair assumption the frame is made of 531.
The difference between cyclists back then and cyclists today, is that a bike was regarded as a major purchase and was treated seriously, as long term ownership was regarded as normal for any type of durable goods. By contrast, take a look at a lot of the "what bike should I buy next?" posts on this forum now, and a bike has become a short lifespan commodity which is treated as semi-disposable and replaced every couple of years for no reason other than the fact that it is no longer the latest model. I wouldn't mind betting that the average lifespan of a modern road bike is less than the lifespan of a modern car.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I remember when I was about 13 and it was decided that I needed a bigger bike so my Mum and I trundled off in the Mini to visit an elderly chap who was advertising his bike. I can still see it, a magnificent gentleman's roadster in green with a chaincase, rod brakes and a huge chrome headlamp. Even at that crass age I recognised a thing of beauty and the poor man's sadness at having to sell it. It was agreed that I still had some growing to do so we didn't buy it. I hope it found a good home.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I sometimes wonder what became of the original owner of my rod braked Raleigh 3-speed. Whoever originally bought it would have considered it carefully, since they were not cheap. Sadly the majority of these sort of machines have probably long since been weighed in. I see plenty of cyclists, being in London, but I don't see many original vintage machines like mine still being ridden. They are most likely to be found acting as a static advertising hoarding or vintage prop outside a shop to catch the attention of customers. Very very few cyclists actually still use them in anger. The last one I saw regularly belonged to a retired preacher who used to ride it to his allotment, complete with tools strapped to the crossbar.. That must have been at least 20 years ago, and both the preacher and roadster were ancient then!.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
what would be the equivalent of a Claude butler today then?
cervélo; it's what the top amateur racers would have used

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
If it's a quality bike like a Claud Butler, and built around 1950, I'd say it's a fair assumption the frame is made of 531.
The difference between cyclists back then and cyclists today, is that a bike was regarded as a major purchase and was treated seriously, as long term ownership was regarded as normal for any type of durable goods. By contrast, take a look at a lot of the "what bike should I buy next?" posts on this forum now, and a bike has become a short lifespan commodity which is treated as semi-disposable and replaced every couple of years for no reason other than the fact that it is no longer the latest model. I wouldn't mind betting that the average lifespan of a modern road bike is less than the lifespan of a modern car.
Indeed; a depressing trend / mindset fostered in the minds of consumers to maintain consumption. I very much doubt many riders will still be riding bikes of such vintage in the future thanks to ally's fondness of fatigue cracking and CFRP's unpredictable nature.

Unlike most I try to "buy for life" when I can; hence the recent purchase of a steel bike. Of course how it lasts remains to be seen and I have my reservations about welded heat-treated alloys compared to braized and lugged plain steel..

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
in fairness, i've had a few old finds from clubmates a few decades older than i, who have kept up with the latest bike developments and consider the old stuff worthy of just handing on as if clearing out a garage…

I'm somewhere in the middle of this.
My main bike is aluminium. Given the amount of miles I ride, it is almost certain to outlive me. So I can reasonably ignore fatigue problems.
I got it for free, so I've nothing but time and upgrades invested in it. They are "upgrades" becuase I've chosen to make it match my ability, not because there was anything wrong with it as-was.
But, like @SkipdiverJohn , I expect this to last well, and don't expect to forever have new machines. Which is out of my reach financially now and forever anyhow.
Old cyclists do die, but quite often, their bikes don't...

Top Bottom