So it's true, old cyclists don't die, they simply ride into the sunset!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just come home from walking my dog along the sea front. As I was approaching the far end, an elderly cyclist came down the hill towards me and pulled up to look out to sea.

As I approached I greeted him with a comment about the headwind he was facing and noticed his bike was obviously an "old friend".

"What you riding there?" I asked.

"It's my old Claud Butler, I got it when I was 15, been riding it since.......I'm 83 now!"

You could have knocked me down with a feather. 68 years with the same bike, absolutely fantastic.

I lost my old Dad (79) over Christmas (he was an avid cyclist, racing, touring and commuting, can't think where I got it from) and as I walked on, I'm not ashamed to say I had a lump in my throat.

...and to think, that from my stable of bikes, my favourite ride is my c35 year old Peugeot...blimey, this gentleman's bike is nearly twice as old, and one owner from new!

Chapeau Sir.

hoopdriver

Guru
That’s a hell of a good run with the one bike!

I have always thought of bicycles as being very personal things.

On the subject of old cyclists never dying, or even fading away very much there is Robert Marchand a Frenchman who retired from competive cycling just this past year, aged 106, after having set the world hour record for the 105+ age group - a category made up specially for him - in which he covered a very respectable 15 miles.

Although no longer competing, on his doctor’s advice, he apparently still rides his stationery bike every day.

Last edited:

hoopdriver

Guru
And some people on here change their bikes more times than I change my undies....
Now there’s a nasty thought...

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Gavroche.....I know that feeling. Some poor sod is going to have to find a home for ten of them.

My (currently) two bikes are going to be the least of our childrens' problems. ^_^They have openly said if something happens to Mrs B and I at the same time, clearing our house will be a nightmare. Starting with our collection of over a thousand books........:laugh:

Last edited:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Just come home from walking my dog along the sea front. As I was approaching the far end, an elderly cyclist came down the hill towards me and pulled up to look out to sea.

As I approached I greeted him with a comment about the headwind he was facing and noticed his bike was obviously an "old friend".

"What you riding there?" I asked.

"It's my old Claud Butler, I got it when I was 15, been riding it since.......I'm 83 now!"

You could have knocked me down with a feather. 68 years with the same bike, absolutely fantastic.

I lost my old Dad (79) over Christmas (he was an avid cyclist, racing, touring and commuting, can't think where I got it from) and as I walked on, I'm not ashamed to say I had a lump in my throat.

...and to think, that from my stable of bikes, my favourite ride is my c35 year old Peugeot...blimey, this gentleman's bike is nearly twice as old, and one owner from new!

Chapeau Sir.

I once got chatting to a bloke in his 70's unlocking our bikes at the same stand. He was about to enter a Bristol to London charity ride for about the 5th time and his bike was older than me (47 at the time).

Top Bottom