So long car ownership, I'd like to say it has been a delight, but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I feel a bit of a coward at ducking the opportunity to try the Zip Car experiment. Maybe sometime ...

We tried the local version of Zip car, although we came at it from the other side of not having a car and thinking it may come in useful.

Trouble is we then got a work bike and found excuses not to use the car, and we realised we were paying a subscription for nothing much, and I found it more stressful every time...

So I guess it worked oin a way, just not in the way expected...

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
What is this zip car some of you are mentioning? Never heard of it.

icowden

Veteran
What is this zip car some of you are mentioning? Never heard of it.

It's a quick hire car model whereby you search for a car near you and hire it for one hour or more paying an hourly rate (£8.50) (or daily rate if you go over x hours). The rate is different if you are going one way or dropping it back to where it was They unlock using your smart phone. In the UK I think it's just in that thar London.

Sounds like car clubs. I am a membe of Co Wheels which is a not for profit social enterprise. Lots if vehicles in my part of town, from small cars to big vans. I take one out maybe once/month.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sounds like car clubs. I am a membe of Co Wheels which is a not for profit social enterprise. Lots if vehicles in my part of town, from small cars to big vans. I take one out maybe once/month.
It's mainly London in the UK but they also say they have a presence in Bristol, Cambridge and Oxford. In my area of London they are a common sight. When you factor in tax, insurance, servicing and general hassle of owning a car it can be a money/time saver - depending on your usage level.

The main downsides from my perspective are that you generally can't take them abroad (some exceptions I think) - and we go to France quite regularly, and bike racks are at best a big problem and at worst impossible.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
They work great here in the States (I live outside of Washington DC) . Gas (petrol) is also included in your cost. There is a credit card in the vehicle and you just need to drop off the vehicle with at least 1/4 tank. Only carried a bike with me once, but without a rack, I put it in the back of an SUV. CAUTION... larger vehicles will cost more. If I used it more often I might buy my own mountable/removable bike rack, and rent vehicles I knew it would fit. Lots of Zip cars here. Probably at least a dozen I could walk to. To bad over there you can’t take them abroad with so many destinations close enough to drive. One more thing, really just for day trips. Over-nights cost a lot. :stop: Better off just getting a rental.

Top Bottom