So long car ownership, I'd like to say it has been a delight, but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Whereas for me cycling is a way of life.
It is for me, too. But not to the exclusion of other activities which are made easier by having easy access to a car. In fact, some of my cycling activities are aided by use of the car, for instance by using it to transport the MTB to some of the more remote MTB trails in the borders (7 Stanes).
I will also confess to sometimes enjoying just "going for a drive". Around here it can still be enjoyable, as the roads aren't as busy as parts of the more built up areas of the UK that I have had the misfortune to drive in. I enjoy being protected from the weather by my tin shelter, and listening to my choice of music, and not having to share my space with some of the more antisocial people who use public transport.

The one vehicle I wouldn't touch as a matter of transport is a bicycle. That kind of cycling has no interest for me, it is slow and adversely effected by the weather with limited load carrying ability. Cycling has always been a sport for me, not a utility.
Each to their own but I don't find the bicycle slow - for most journeys round London it's the fastest, including train and tube - once won a pint off a foreign visitor who couldn't believe that I'd be home before him with him taking a direct train from London Bridge. I only bet on sure things :smile: If going to the other end of the country, with substantial luggage (I often do) I just pop the bike on a train, cycling at both ends. Pretty sure on that trip I'd beat you as well, and arrive far less stressed. I don't consider this "cheating" - part of the wonder of the bike.

i managed 10 years with a car that sat on the driveway as i rode 17 miles each way to the station then train to London followed by 3 miles each way to the office, 5 days a week. then 3.5 years ago i changed job and a train not an option so back in the car for a 165 mile round trip 5 then 4 and now 0 days a week.

Whilst i use a bike for almost all transport i live in a super hilly part of the west country and our nearest shops are 15 miles round trip with multiple 15% climbs thrown in so using a bike for shopping is out added to which the most direct route is a road you really wouldnt want to ride a bike on, my point being its very much swings and roundabouts when it comes to living in remote locations car free, if only villages like mine still had local facilities. Hey ho!
Crikey, how long does the 82.5 mile trip take you?

Cripes. Yes, that's why driving is often stressful. Unpredictable jams, lines at traffic lights which take several changes to get through. Many's the time on a bike i have felt sorry for drivers as I breeze straight through, knowing that many will be stuck for another two changes at least. One of the primary causes of stress is lack of personal control, and contrary to what the ads would have you believe, cars very often don't deliver it.

D

Deleted member 1258

I won't apologise for owning a car, I enjoy driving and I find it the most convenient way of getting around. I also use the bus (Though that went out the window with Covid) as I have a bus pass.

The one vehicle I wouldn't touch as a matter of transport is a bicycle. That kind of cycling has no interest for me, it is slow and adversely effected by the weather with limited load carrying ability. Cycling has always been a sport for me, not a utility.

I came back to cycling in 1979 and used it for transport, it got me around, it got me to and from work, and did so up until 2012 when I brought my first car, even when I had the car I commuted to work by bike, and did so until I retired. I did my first club ride in 1985 and did my last one around 2008, these days the car usually gets used for transport and the bike for leisure rides. The bike is OK for transport.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Cripes. Yes, that's why driving is often stressful. Unpredictable jams, lines at traffic lights which take several changes to get through. Many's the time on a bike i have felt sorry for drivers as I breeze straight through, knowing that many will be stuck for another two changes at least. One of the primary causes of stress is lack of personal control, and contrary to what the ads would have you believe, cars very often don't deliver it.

This. A bicycle gives a degree of control that other modes don't.

gcogger

At least 95% of my car usage over the last few years has been the commute to work, or the grocery shopping.
The work commute takes ~50-60mins each way (less since Covid due to reduced traffic, though I don't go to the office so much now). Occasionally the journey home takes an extra 10 mins. Perhaps once or twice a year, it can be as much as 1hr30.
To cycle would be 35 miles on horrible roads. The train takes anything from 1hr20 to ~2hrs depending on the the time of day, assuming they're running OK. My wife does part of that journey by train, and often has late/cancelled train issues. At the moment, she also has to cope with young people not wearing masks :cursing:
For the shopping, I come home with the boot of the car pretty much full, so don't see a sensible alternative in that case. Perhaps Ocado or similar, but I think I'd still need to do the occasional 'in person' shop.
So for me, the car is for transport and the bike is for leisure. (I'm not saying that's how it should be for everyone).

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
The fun rolls on. Admiral have 'reviewed' my wife's policy and have decided to up the amount she pays by £10 a month for her insurance. So we're nearly back to where were when I owned the car.

That promotes car insurance to number 4 in the monthly outgoings hit parade, surpassed only by mortgage, council and and food. The only way it could be cheaper would be for my wife to give up her job and get rid of the car.

Last edited:
It's been 11 years now since I've owned a car. For most of that time I was still single and was mainly reliant on my bicycle as a mode of transport; I occasionally used the rural bus service.

Back at the start of 2017 I moved & got married. My wife has a car that I do use a fair bit so I'm no longer completely car free. I can't see myself ever going back to owning a car myself; I enjoy the financial freedom too much.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I came close to going carless. I had to ditch my car due to ULEZ (and it was falling to bits and expensively struggling with its MoTs). I was planning to switch to Zip Cars but purely by chance a mate happened to be selling his Hyundai i10 at the time so I took it off his hands at a mutually acceptable price.

I don't like driving at all - yes I find it very stressful - and we don't use the car a lot. As a Londoner I rarely use the car for short trips except for occasional need to transport large things (garden centre a handful of times a year, tip once a year) and sometimes taxi service to get friends home late at night. We get nearly all shopping delivered, and what we don't get delivered we bring home on foot/by train. So that leaves occasional visits to friends/family around the country plus holidays in France.

I feel a bit of a coward at ducking the opportunity to try the Zip Car experiment. Maybe sometime ...

Oddly enough I never cycle for utility purposes. This comes from living in London where most destinations are easily reached by walking or getting the train/bus. Plus the high security risk to any parked bike. When I return to office working I'll probably cycle commute as I'm not looking forward to the petri-dish of train commuting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom