So long car ownership, I'd like to say it has been a delight, but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I live in a village and unless youre disabled its no impediment. 2 big towns are a half hour ride away, the Docs is 20 minutes away, local shops are within half an hour, and big shops (and just about anything else you can think of) can be delivered to your door anyway.

Unless youre disabled and need a wheelchair like Mrs D, rural living is no impediment. If you really want to do it then you will do it. If you don't, you will make excuses instead.

Brooks

I live in a village and unless youre disabled its no impediment. 2 big towns are a half hour ride away, the Docs is 20 minutes away, local shops are within half an hour, and big shops (and just about anything else you can think of) can be delivered to your door anyway.

Unless youre disabled and need a wheelchair like Mrs D, rural living is no impediment. If you really want to do it then you will do it. If you don't, you will make excuses instead.
That's very interesting and you have a refreshing view on it as well. A friend pointed me in the direction of this Facebook group campaigning against the implementation of safer streets measures in Camden. The anti cycling feeling is bordering on derangement. After pointing out the benefits of walking and cycling to the shops I'm now banned from the group 😂😂😂

That's very interesting and you have a refreshing view on it as well. A friend pointed me in the direction of this Facebook group campaigning against the implementation of safer streets measures in Camden. The anti cycling feeling is bordering on derangement. After pointing out the benefits of walking and cycling to the shops I'm now banned from the group 😂😂😂

That's a problem at the moment in many groups, on and off line: anyone who dares speak against the accepted wisdom isn't engaged with, but dismissed as a heretic.

When I was born, I joined my big sister in the poor-house. We lived with all the other children from car-less households, 30 to a dorm; this was pre-internet, so we didn't know where Dagenham was, let alone how to read or write.

It was an amazing day when Dad saved up enough for the car deposit - but it was sad to be taken away from all our childhood friends.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I've been told this a number of times, but it's not as hard as people think: the Eldest of my kids is now 18 and we haven't ever owned a car since we were married. For my kids it meant greater independence because they went to school by public transport and because of this have a free pass for the city: any time they want to go anywhere they just go: no waiting for the Papa taxi. I appreciate that public transport is probably better organised than in the UK, but we don't live in the city of Stuttgart, and while the bus service isn't that bad it isn't brilliant, or very frequent.

To me it's much harder to deal with owning a very large, complex, and expensive vehicle that I'm responsible for maintaining to the mandated standards, to keep it safe less likely to kill people, for which I have to pay for tests, fuelling, insuring, and ultimately replacing, all of which costs an apparently large amount of money.

I also have to figure out storage, although for many car owners the solution to this seems to be to make someone else pay for that aspect.

I think a lot of the difficulty is connected to the expectations people have on others and their own lives. When I was in technical college I lived further away from the college than my peers. I also was the only one who cycled there. I was also the only one consistently on time. The four consistently late students were the four who came by car, and every time they were stressed, tired, and in winter vocally cold for the first hour. I'd arrive punctually, awake and always warm.

I'm not saying it's possible for everyone: we have the advantage of more traffic free cycle routes than you'd get in the UK, and I don't own a company that needs to deliver bulky items, for example, but it isn't as difficult as people sometimes assume.

I think that sometimes it is a matter of priorities and planning, and making a specific decision to work in a certain way.
If I really wanted too or needed too I could make it work I suppose. Only thing is my wife runs her own business and that involves house calls due to the nature of said business. Yes she could do it on a cargo bike , but in reality that’s a pipe dream until we have proper dedicated safe cycling lanes etc . I cycle to work most of the time , that’s my commitment but it’s got cock all to do with saving the planet :tongue: . I like food and beer/wine so it’s A trade off and it’s my only exercise these days.
Youngest cycles to school now ( no bus for now ) , however he does get dropped off if weather rubbish. The other two boys drive to work , no other option due to location . That’s public transport for you !!

i managed 10 years with a car that sat on the driveway as i rode 17 miles each way to the station then train to London followed by 3 miles each way to the office, 5 days a week. then 3.5 years ago i changed job and a train not an option so back in the car for a 165 mile round trip 5 then 4 and now 0 days a week.

Whilst i use a bike for almost all transport i live in a super hilly part of the west country and our nearest shops are 15 miles round trip with multiple 15% climbs thrown in so using a bike for shopping is out added to which the most direct route is a road you really wouldnt want to ride a bike on, my point being its very much swings and roundabouts when it comes to living in remote locations car free, if only villages like mine still had local facilities. Hey ho!

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Okay, this has gained more attention than I thought it would, so just for clarification....

Mincing
I'm not complaining about insurance so much as mincing off from the game entirely. A bit like someone I knew who quit smoking when the taxes got so high cigarettes passed a financial threshold he was prepared to tolerate.

No fun
I try and minimise financial liabilities on objects I have no affection for. Cars fall into that category.

Missing cat
I had to claim for the stolen catalytic converter due to temporary fiscal shortfall (being skint). The insurance company repaid me roughly half the cost of replacement, so we kinda went halves on that one and paid £300 each.

Unscheduled aerodynamic remodelling
The door that was driven into had to be claimed for because it compromised the safety features of the door making the car unfit for passengers in the rear seats, AKA the heir to my modest fortune.

Confusing careless carless confusion
I'm not going carless - my wife now has the car. I have closed my office due to covid and the school run is the only place I have to go, so we cycle or walk the couple of miles between our castle and the halls of academia my spawn is enlisted at.

Keeping up with keying
I didn't plan to report the car being keyed, because frankly I wasn't too upset about it. But when someone reversed into my car I knew from experience that the very thorough inspection carried by the loss adjuster would highly the scratch in the paintwork, thereby initiating a discussion about whether my insurer would consider me a fully disclosing customer. No full disclose = invalid insurance. Driving with no insurance = quite rightly illegal.

Passive liability and the art of zen
In addition to the aforementioned discourtesies my Prius has suffered, I have previously had two cars totally written off while they were parked right outside my house. At this stage if I was an insurance company I'd make a hissing sound like escaping gas if I tried to insure me.

A friend of a friend has just been diagnosed with COVID so we're now self-isolating for a while. So not having a car at the moment is easy.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Or you will enjoy the convenience of car ownership and take the financial hit. For my personal circumstances, it is worth the cost.
For me a car is almost essential to retain my sanity. I live in a small town with a barely adequate Coop for basic food and I live at the top of a steep hill with all shops at the bottom. Walking is not really an option for me as I have a Blue Badge due to limited walking ability. Cycling is not really an option and the trike is not possible either due to a dangerous corner with mad tourists bombing around and in any case is probably too steep with a load.
The bus service to the main ferry terminal is really designed for tourists and even local hospital visits are in summer not possible due to tourist traffic filling the buses from the terminals and in winter limited timetables. Visits to mainland and back can be done by bus but not every ferry has a bus connection and ferry times can be disrupted for a variety of reasons leaving you stuck 21 miles from home in winter darkness.
Mainland hospital visits need a taxi to and from the hospital and since I get concessionary fares it really costs very little to take my car on the ferry with shelter from the elements at both sides and space for shopping and even emergency accommodation if required.
Insurance is another topic but due to age they have me over a barrel as even quotations are hard to get.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Eactly Brandane. You simply don't want make the leap, and you make no bones about it. That makes you one of the few really honest motorists.
I won't apologise for owning a car, I enjoy driving and I find it the most convenient way of getting around. I also use the bus (Though that went out the window with Covid) as I have a bus pass.

The one vehicle I wouldn't touch as a matter of transport is a bicycle. That kind of cycling has no interest for me, it is slow and adversely effected by the weather with limited load carrying ability. Cycling has always been a sport for me, not a utility.

Top Bottom