So long car ownership, I'd like to say it has been a delight, but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We had two cars from '94, when we married, to early 2018. My last three MOTs recorded 3500/2500/3000miles in each Yr. It was costing around £800/annum, to Tax, insure, service and MOT.
The last MOT had several faults needing rectification, all had been warnings in the previous MOTs.
So, at a book price of £800, needing the wrong side of £500 spending on it, I sold it as is to the garage for £500.
For the next two years I drove Lady Byegads car, mostly on a holiday and days out. She drove it 4 or 5 days a week for shopping, meeting friends and following her hobbies. A completely fair assessment was we covered almost exactly the same mileage each Yr. So, at her first renewal I insured it in her name. The next year she insured it. Each time naming the other as a driver. Then a couple of months later, she had a brain abscess necessitating a hole in her head to drain it, and so incurring a perfectly understandable withdrawal of her licence for a minimum of one year by DVLA.

As I'd had a renewal notice less than two months earlier, but she'd insured, with the same firm for a little less, I informed the RAC Insurance people of her circumstances. Remember, I'd been with them up to that September. Their reaction was despicable. Having insisted on cancelling her policy (Fair enough, she could not be the main driver, as her licence had gone back to DVLA.) and promptly offered me insurance on the car, which in September I could have bought at just under £400, it was on their renewal notice, a policy at over £960. I told them what I thought of their attempt to profiteer on my wife's illness (At that time her survival was in doubt.) and promptly got the car covered for just under £350 by Direct Line.

Insurance companies all want to charge the maximum they can, and pay out the minimum. They're businesses and I do understand that they need to make a profit, but all too often the bastards run the show.

So just three weeks ago we needed to replace our two year old rather nice small car with a larger one so we could carry the wheelchair, which my wife needs for more than a short walk, without the rear seats being down. I called Direct one who, for a modest sum covered the new car for the remaining 2 months of my cover. No fee to make the change, which I'm sure those robbing bastards at RAC Insurance would charge! No fuss just enough to cover 1/6th the annual difference in a years insurance.
You appear to be suggesting that all car insurance companies aren't
Insurance companies are scum, end off.
I think some people have a different view albeit knee jerk.

screenman

Legendary Member
We had two cars from '94, when we married, to early 2018. My last three MOTs recorded 3500/2500/3000miles in each Yr. It was costing around £800/annum, to Tax, insure, service and MOT.
The last MOT had several faults needing rectification, all had been warnings in the previous MOTs.
So, at a book price of £800, needing the wrong side of £500 spending on it, I sold it as is to the garage for £500.
For the next two years I drove Lady Byegads car, mostly on a holiday and days out. She drove it 4 or 5 days a week for shopping, meeting friends and following her hobbies. A completely fair assessment was we covered almost exactly the same mileage each Yr. So, at her first renewal I insured it in her name. The next year she insured it. Each time naming the other as a driver. Then a couple of months later, she had a brain abscess necessitating a hole in her head to drain it, and so incurring a perfectly understandable withdrawal of her licence for a minimum of one year by DVLA.

As I'd had a renewal notice less than two months earlier, but she'd insured, with the same firm for a little less, I informed the RAC Insurance people of her circumstances. Remember, I'd been with them up to that September. Their reaction was despicable. Having insisted on cancelling her policy (Fair enough, she could not be the main driver, as her licence had gone back to DVLA.) and promptly offered me insurance on the car, which in September I could have bought at just under £400, it was on their renewal notice, a policy at over £960. I told them what I thought of their attempt to profiteer on my wife's illness (At that time her survival was in doubt.) and promptly got the car covered for just under £350 by Direct Line.

Insurance companies all want to charge the maximum they can, and pay out the minimum. They're businesses and I do understand that they need to make a profit, but all too often the bastards run the show.

So just three weeks ago we needed to replace our two year old rather nice small car with a larger one so we could carry the wheelchair, which my wife needs for more than a short walk, without the rear seats being down. I called Direct one who, for a modest sum covered the new car for the remaining 2 months of my cover. No fee to make the change, which I'm sure those robbing bastards at RAC Insurance would charge! No fuss just enough to cover 1/6th the annual difference in a years insurance.

The worrying part for me here is you had warnings but did nothing about them.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I informed the RAC

Ah, the RAW gawdbless 'em. After paying them a reasonable amount of money every month for years, (and never actually needing to call them out) the dashboard on my Prius lit up like something on the USS Enterprise (the Star Trek one, not the Aircraft carrier) and I had to give them a tinkle.

When the Mechanic reached me he said (and I quote) 'LOL, we don't do hybrids'. As it turns out they absolutely do not do hybrids. I have now heard this from several trusted sources.

A while later my wife broken down in a different car and after six and a half hours of waiting on the roadside for them gave up on waiting and made other other arrangements.

I have cancelled my RAC membership now, but they still call me every few weeks asking if they can entice me back into the fold. I ask if they support hybrids yet, they confirm that they do not and myself and the call centre bot part ways.

Drago

Legendary Member
When I cancelled my RAC membership (you get free RAC so longnas you get your Volvo serviced at the dealer annually, so no longer needed to buy my own) they were desperate to keep me. "What about the no claims discount youve accruded?", they cried. Generous souls that they are, for only £5 a month they would keep my NCD current until I rejoined them. Nothing else for the fiver, just that. I was keen to not take them up on their offer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
When I cancelled my RAC membership (you get free RAC so longnas you get your Volvo serviced at the dealer annually) they were desperate to keep me. "What about the no claims discount youve accruded?", they cried. Generous souls that they are, for only £5 a month they would keep my NCD current until I rejoined them. Nothing else for the fiver, just that. I was keen to not take them up on their offer.
When they ring me and demand to know how I can possibly live my life without sharing a portion of my income with them I remind them that I am not a car owner.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I hope this one sticks but we've had a few bike booms over the decades which seem to fizzle out after a while.
It's the weather innit? People have become so used to being cosseted from door to door that they are now afraid of getting a bit wet or having to dress up against the elements. The current surge following recent sporting success and then boosted further by the Covid situation will likely die out in the coming years as all these 'car free' campaigners gradually and discreetly return to their convenient old ways once out of the spotlight.

The answer is not to replace car use but to address the need for most of these pointless journeys.

byegad

Legendary Member
I got a letter from Direct Line yesterday telling me they'll refund me a percentage of the premium if I under shoot my predicted annual mileage. All I have to do is tell them my present odometer reading, then at renewal tell them again, and I'll get a reduction on my next policy.

simongt

Guru
I get no joy from owning such a financial liability.
Agree with your observation. We have a car which does about the same amount of miles annually as I ride. I drive when I need to; crap weather, distance, load carrying, but I certainly do not enjoy driving. If none of the above caveats apply, give me the bike anytime.
Had my annual insurance quote in a few days ago and so began the annual 'discussion'. :laugh: I fire back several better quotes from other insurers and thus get a much better deal with my current insurer. What a waste of time and effort - ! :angry: What does puzzle me though is that the car and I are both getting older; I'm 67 with a full no claims bonus. Been with this insurer umpteen years, so why does the premuim keep going up - ? :dry:

Top Bottom