So long car ownership, I'd like to say it has been a delight, but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brads

Not sure what you are complaining about TBH?
After a long time without incident you have had 3 claims in a short period. Kind of like punctures or buses which always seem to all arrive at once. This has obviously affected your claim history and NCD, that's how it works, but you have decided you are special and shouldn't be subject to the same conditions that apply to everyone else?
It does rather seem that after the first upset of things not going your way you have thrown all your toys out of the pram and decided not to play any more.
Good luck managing without a car, I hope it works out for you, more people should consider it. I also hope you don't resume car use fraudulently under the pretence of being an 'occasional' driver of your old car but now registered and insured more cheaply in your wife's name.

Wow, bet you're popular at parties. lol.

Insurance companies are scum, end off. They want it all their way, all of the time. Not accepting any argument opposing that view either.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
No way would car free make things easier in anyway for us. So it will never happen !! Just pointing out you can reduce reliance if you wanted too!

I was fortunate enough to be able to give up cars in 93. If I got one I could make more money but I love life without the hassle of it. Cycling for transport in harsh weather can be challenging and requires a little planning but, it's really fun and invigorating. You will learn to really appreciate a hot shower and clean dry clothes. Life will be better!

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I was fortunate enough to be able to give up cars in 93. If I got one I could make more money but I love life without the hassle of it. Cycling for transport in harsh weather can be challenging and requires a little planning but, it's really fun and invigorating. You will learn to really appreciate a hot shower and clean dry clothes. Life will be better!
That’s a life choice that not all can afford or willing to compromise. However well done!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
<<<<< I use my car to carry important things <<<<<

Might have to use it today as need to drop a present off at my sisters, had contemplated riding, but as the route is off road, and present fragile, I don't hold my chances it will be in one piece. First time the car has moved in at least a week.

PK99

Legendary Member

Insurance companies are scum, end off. They want it all their way, all of the time. Not accepting any argument opposing that view either.

People who rely on cheap insurance are stupid, end of.

I buy my household insurance from Hiscox. Headline cost is large.
But includes any number of bikes to individual value £3,500, and higher value at no cost if specified. I just had a room redecorated following a roof leak they put £1400 in my bank before I had the work done. In the past, I've had a new kitchen ceiling following a central heating leak, and major repairs to hall ceiling following a shower leak. A bike replaced before compo received following SMIDSY, they then chased drivers car insurance for their costs.
Emergency plumber call out (plumber on-site within 2 hours of my call. it would have been quicker had I not been able to turn off the water in that part of system) to trace and fix unknown leak -at the same time, they authorised what was essentially a maintenance repair on an item the plumber spotted that might have caused a future problem.

No increase in premium following any of those claims.

I've had very good value from my insurance.

Last edited:

PK99

Legendary Member
I'd invest in a better Plumber!

yep!

The one who was involved in our Loft conversion 20 years ago was clearly not very good - we should have gone for the higher quote!

TBF though the Central heating leak was down to the Alarm company who screwed back a floorboard and went into a pipe - years later the end of the screw rusted off and a slow drip started, months/years later damage appeared in ceiling, the fungal growth ceiling space was, eerm, alarming in the extreme - Hiccox paid for Plumbing repair, Rentokill inspection and treatment plus new ceiling and lighting.

As with anything else, with insurance, you get the quality of service you pay for.

Nowt like exaggerating.
A motorbike ran into the back of me. Contacted his insurance company , they got back 2 days later accepting responsibility. Paid for all repairs by paying into my bank account They offered to pay for me to rent a bike. Also said I could hire a dog walker and they would pay. I asked for neither.
At a latter date they said my injuries were not minor and they would pay full cost of solicitor.
What a bunch of scum ....according to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
@PK99
I will note that down for future reference. I was with nfu good but put my Insurance up big time for a minor claim. TSB do the same insurance for bikes dirt cheap without adding house insurance. Upto £3500. No matter how many bikes at home and away from home anywhere in the world. Is it cheaper without the bike insurance? No point in double insurance.

Electric bike for heavy loads, including 2 and half years of firewood. Fetched on ordinary bike and Electric bike....depending on how lazy I feel.

PK99

Legendary Member
@PK99
I will note that down for future reference. I was with nfu good but put my Insurance up big time for a minor claim. TSB do the same insurance for bikes dirt cheap without adding house insurance. Upto £3500. No matter how many bikes at home and away from home anywhere in the world. Is it cheaper without the bike insurance? No point in double insurance.

Bike cover is part of contents cover. No extra with bikes. No reduction without.

As I say, headline price is high but we have North of £10k of bikes covered for no cost.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Without knowing what your premium would a abs size of house/type of house and area it’s hard to quantify value for money. However your requirements are wholly different from the rest of us !?
Must say we had a small house fire , and Direct line had money in my bank within days to cover all loss and other costs. Granted that was my choice rather than wait for tradesman to come in. It was good outcome. Just a pity our renewal was horribly expensive !! So we moved provider lol

Top Bottom