So long car ownership, I'd like to say it has been a delight, but...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So long as your wife is the main driver you should be ok but if you drive more than a minimal amount the insurance company may be a bit sniffy in the event of a claim. It is a common dodge to get lower premiums which they are well aware of.
Simple, "No gov', it's my wife's car, I used it today as a one off" :okay:

I've been (personally) car free since 2014, I toyed with the idea of getting one again very very briefly last year, but once you live without the expense, it's hard to go back. My wife still drives, and I take hers out occasionally. I mostly commute by ebike nowadays. I should say, car-lite, not free, but it's the best of both worlds. My wife insists on car ownership after all, so I could never be car free entirely.

Last edited:

byegad

Legendary Member
We had two cars from '94, when we married, to early 2018. My last three MOTs recorded 3500/2500/3000miles in each Yr. It was costing around £800/annum, to Tax, insure, service and MOT.
The last MOT had several faults needing rectification, all had been warnings in the previous MOTs.
So, at a book price of £800, needing the wrong side of £500 spending on it, I sold it as is to the garage for £500.
For the next two years I drove Lady Byegads car, mostly on a holiday and days out. She drove it 4 or 5 days a week for shopping, meeting friends and following her hobbies. A completely fair assessment was we covered almost exactly the same mileage each Yr. So, at her first renewal I insured it in her name. The next year she insured it. Each time naming the other as a driver. Then a couple of months later, she had a brain abscess necessitating a hole in her head to drain it, and so incurring a perfectly understandable withdrawal of her licence for a minimum of one year by DVLA.

As I'd had a renewal notice less than two months earlier, but she'd insured, with the same firm for a little less, I informed the RAC Insurance people of her circumstances. Remember, I'd been with them up to that September. Their reaction was despicable. Having insisted on cancelling her policy (Fair enough, she could not be the main driver, as her licence had gone back to DVLA.) and promptly offered me insurance on the car, which in September I could have bought at just under £400, it was on their renewal notice, a policy at over £960. I told them what I thought of their attempt to profiteer on my wife's illness (At that time her survival was in doubt.) and promptly got the car covered for just under £350 by Direct Line.

Insurance companies all want to charge the maximum they can, and pay out the minimum. They're businesses and I do understand that they need to make a profit, but all too often the bastards run the show.

So just three weeks ago we needed to replace our two year old rather nice small car with a larger one so we could carry the wheelchair, which my wife needs for more than a short walk, without the rear seats being down. I called Direct one who, for a modest sum covered the new car for the remaining 2 months of my cover. No fee to make the change, which I'm sure those robbing bastards at RAC Insurance would charge! No fuss just enough to cover 1/6th the annual difference in a years insurance.

Simple, "No gov', it's my wife's car, I used it today as a one off" :okay:

I've been (personally) car free since 2014, I toyed with the idea of getting one again very very briefly last year, but once you live without the expense, it's hard to go back. My wife still drives, and I take hers out occasionally. I mostly commute by ebike nowadays. I should say, car-lite, not free, but it's the best of both worlds. My wife insists on car ownership after all, so I could never be car free entirely.
You could refuse to have any contact with the infernal contraption. No lifts, and make her park it out of sight. Where are your principles man??

Brads

Nowt like exaggerating.
A motorbike ran into the back of me. Contacted his insurance company , they got back 2 days later accepting responsibility. Paid for all repairs by paying into my bank account They offered to pay for me to rent a bike. Also said I could hire a dog walker and they would pay. I asked for neither.
At a latter date they said my injuries were not minor and they would pay full cost of solicitor.
What a bunch of scum ....according to you.

Did they increase your premiums due to "your" accident ?

All uphill

Still rolling along
Mine hasn't had fuel since in the last month since we had to 'leave' the caravan (bloody Welsh Covid rules). I doubt it will get fuel before Christmas and it's on less that a quarter of a tank.
We were a bit smug about the tank of fuel that lasted us nearly three months earlier this year. Shame the handbrake calipers seized and wrecked the discs on our first journey.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We were a bit smug about the tank of fuel that lasted us nearly three months earlier this year. Shame the handbrake calipers seized and wrecked the discs on our first journey.
Oops. Mine was moved to stop any of that.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
So long as your wife is the main driver you should be ok but if you drive more than a minimal amount the insurance company may be a bit sniffy in the event of a claim. It is a common dodge to get lower premiums which they are well aware of.

I would be surprised if I even drive ten miles in a month! There are no gigs to play, no band rehearsals to attend and the shopping gets delivered!

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Not sure what you are complaining about TBH?
After a long time without incident you have had 3 claims in a short period. Kind of like punctures or buses which always seem to all arrive at once. This has obviously affected your claim history and NCD, that's how it works, but you have decided you are special and shouldn't be subject to the same conditions that apply to everyone else?
It does rather seem that after the first upset of things not going your way you have thrown all your toys out of the pram and decided not to play any more.
Good luck managing without a car, I hope it works out for you, more people should consider it. I also hope you don't resume car use fraudulently under the pretence of being an 'occasional' driver of your old car but now registered and insured more cheaply in your wife's name.

Cor, I thought I was in the news and current affairs section for a minute ;)

I'm fully aware that I'm a statistical liability. I talked about this at length with a friend who is an actuary. I wouldn't insure me!

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Having paid for 4 vehicles as part of my practice for 25 years I got stung for every claim, fair or not, and the resulting increase in premiums... that's life. it's lovely when you get rid of the cars and the hassle of running a business and only have to be responsible for your own, and that one's days are numbered. But to sidle out of paying a reasonable increased premium following three claims by using a bit of chicanery isn't giving up car ownership Andrew! You could've just kept the van...

My wife's van died at the start of lockdown and was stranded at the allotment for three months till the scrappy opened again, we were not popular!

Top Bottom