So many fields left to lie fallow.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
..........or, it seems, deliberately sewn with wild flowers. Fields full of buttercups, borage and today's oxeye daisies.
So many more so, it appears than in previous years.
All of my cycling is out in the countryside and I notice these things.
Have others noticed?

DSC05647 1.JPG
DSC05648 1.JPG

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Ah the joys of EU farming subsidy.

[PS I haven't got a clue whether farmers are still enjoying being paid to not grow crops- certainly my cousin's stopped growing oil seed rape on any spare inch of land they have]

Our village wanted a sports field and approached the local farmer to buy or long lease a field.
Farmer would not sell but agreed to give an on-going short term let of the filed; which he then got a subsidy for to leave it "fallow".

Around here most of the oilseed rape crop has failed. Many fields with only about 10% of the crop grown and the remainder patchy and bare. Fair number of others were re-planted with a summer crop a couple of months ago.

D

Deleted member 23692

Looks like a wonderful meadow to me. Much better than acres and acres of mono-culture lolium improved pasture

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Lots of buttercup fields, not so many with other flowers. I assumed they were going to be for hay crops.

Also lots of rape, which appears to be growing well, and barley. The field next to our house was only planted a month ago. It was barley last year, but too soon to tell this year!

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Poignant... reminds me of driving home up through Northern France past hundreds of poppy fields and the small but immaculately-tended WWII graveyards in every village on the way back to the ferry at Caen.

Top Bottom