so, other than the chain...what other parts of the bike should i grease/lube??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anything that spins, moves, pivots, twists or rotates :thumbsup:

It depends on the bike. Posh bikes generally have better seals and therefore require less maintenance than cheaper bikes. It's also not uncommon to find cartridge bearings and 'sealed for life' components.

What kind of bike do you ride?

HovR

Über Member
Cup and cone wheel hubs, as well as cup and cone bottom brackets, will need repacking with grease every now and then. I do mine every 1000 or so miles.

The headset will need the bearings replacing if sealed, or regreased if ball bearings when the steering starts to feel rough.

A small application of lubricant to derailleur, brake and lever pivots never hurts - Just make sure to keep it off the braking surface.

If shifting is getting rough you can normally get away with not replacing the cables by squirting a light lubricant (GT85 or similar) in to the cable housing. If you are using the old/cheaper style of cables which aren't plastic lined on the inside you will need to use a thicker lubricant such as grease or thick oil.

Whenever you have lubricated something, remember to wipe off the excess so dirt doesn't stick to it and get in a mess.

HovR

Über Member
Whatever you do don't get grease on the saddle like I did recently :crazy:

Although that reminds me, seat posts need either a grease or an anti-size compound applied to prevent them from seizing in the frame, as do quill stems (but that doesn't apply to you).

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
All front and rear derailleur pivots. All brake pivots. Grease the seat post. Stick something into the brake and gear cable sleeves too. I'm sure that there is a lot more that I should do as well.

D

Deleted member 20519

Anything that spins, moves, pivots, twists or rotates :thumbsup:

Do you lube your legs up before cycling?

Top Bottom