So slow and....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
unresponsive.

I think this 'upgrade' is a retrograde step.

Trying to do stuff on mobile constantly brings up keyboard when I press buttons for emojis.
If you hit the back button it wipes what is typed.
Pressing back to clear a picture takes you back a page instead of clearing said pictures.

:banghead:

Katherine

Guru
Android or apple?

I've just tried to replicate what you describe on my android phone and when I press the back button , I don't lose anything.
Also, when the keyboard is up, I can still scroll through the message I am typing and see and scroll through the emojis.

Have you tried clearing your cache?

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Pressing back to clear a picture takes you back a page instead of clearing said pictures.

I've discovered this myself today.
Clicking on a picture to get the original full size one like in the old software does still get a full size pic, but I'm unable to A: scroll around the picture and B: download the pic.
Also, clicking the back button as mentioned takes me back an entire page.
Can't we have the old forum back? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze!

Android or apple?

I've just tried to replicate what you describe on my android phone and when I press the back button , I don't lose anything.
Also, when the keyboard is up, I can still scroll through the message I am typing and see and scroll through the emojis.

Have you tried clearing your cache?
Android

Can't really describe it. Sorry

I have a full HD phone screen and the screenshot shows wasted space.

The new forum software is too bloated and tends to fetch info from many other sites slowing it all down.

Screenshot_20191005-185855.png

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have had the forum slow to respond on my Win 7 laptop too. (It isn't the laptop or internet connection because other sites run full speed in other browser tabs.)

The other thing I noticed today is that the page has stopped refreshing at certain times. When I clicked 'Ignore thread' last week, the page would refresh and the text on the button would be updated to say 'Unignore thread'. It isn't doing that now in Firefox 69.0.2.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

This is a screen I get, on android, when I want to insert a smilie.
It's then unscrolable (if that's actually a word)

Yep, my laptop is also slow on here, as it were, so to speak 😉

Shaun

Founder
This sounded a bit odd - but when I checked, it seems the toolbar disappears when you tap a picture to view it in "lightbox" mode. So you'd end up with a picture and no controls/navigation - and pressing "back" in your browser would navigate you back out of the thread (since the lightbox is a pop-up).

I've put a fix in place (specifically for mobile devices) to stop the toolbar disappearing - so you should see it now and be able to press the X to close the lightbox/picture view:

1570484967476.png

Shaun

Founder
@Tanis8472 - try selecting the new Compact style (bottom left - next to the brush icon) which has smaller fonts and reduced padding.

As to the speed - can you please clear your browser cache; turn your device off and then on again (to completely restart all your apps/browser); and let me know if this site is slow or not (in comparison to CC): http://cycle-endtoend.org.uk/

Thanks.

I have had the forum slow to respond on my Win 7 laptop too. (It isn't the laptop or internet connection because other sites run full speed in other browser tabs.)

The other thing I noticed today is that the page has stopped refreshing at certain times. When I clicked 'Ignore thread' last week, the page would refresh and the text on the button would be updated to say 'Unignore thread'. It isn't doing that now in Firefox 69.0.2.
Are you sure it'sWin 7 and not Win XP?

Shaun

Founder
Oh, and it can also still be slow loading on this much faster Win 10 laptop too, so it isn't the machine to blame.
Colin - if you don't mind spending a bit of time trying something for me, could you please install a new browser that you haven't used on the laptop before - maybe Opera - and then visit CC and login and see how it performs. This should load a fresh copy of all the files from the server/CF and set a brand new login cookie. Also give Rob's site a try as it is on the same server (so should rule out and routing issues): http://cycle-endtoend.org.uk/ - thanks. :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Are you sure it'sWin 7 and not Win XP?
It definitely IS Windows 7 - it started off as Win XP but I upgraded it a few years later!

Win7.png

Colin - if you don't mind spending a bit of time trying something for me, could you please install a new browser that you haven't used on the laptop before - maybe Opera - and then visit CC and login and see how it performs. This should load a fresh copy of all the files from the server/CF and set a brand new login cookie. Also give Rob's site a try as it is on the same server (so should rule out and routing issues): http://cycle-endtoend.org.uk/ - thanks. :okay:
Rob's site loads very quickly. I already have Opera, Chrome and Firefox and am getting the same results on all of them.

Hmm... interesting! The slowness is only when I click New Posts, which is the way that I normally access the forum. If I go in sub-forum by sub-forum, it is nice and snappy, but it is taking 4 or 5 seconds to respond to New Posts.

I just checked the new Win 10 laptop. Same results - slow New Posts, excellent otherwise.

If you still need me to try another browser, I'll find another one to play with.

Shaun

Founder
No, no need, thanks Colin. That's plenty descriptive and gives me something to focus on. So does it do this on all of the browsers when you click New Posts? Or are some slower than others?

Top Bottom