So slow and....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well the site is more responsive on laptop. Havent used mobile tonight as im at home and dont like browsing with it when i have laptop/pc
Still slow on my phone too.

My Plusnet connection usually runs at about 15 Mb/s so I can't see that being anything to do with it.

No issues here, but my laptop isn't coal fired steam power :tongue:
Cheeky bugger... My Dell may be nearly steam-powered but this Lenovo is sporting a nippy Intel i7-6560U dual core processor running at 2.2 GHz, which is more than enough oomph! :okay:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
@ColinJ 's latest laptop. :whistle:

SteampunkLaptop1-500x375.jpg

ColinJ

Ha ha!

Actually though, I remember buying the Dell in 2008 and thinking how advanced, fast and svelte it was compared to the clunky monster machines that I had used before that. Nowadays, in comparison with my super-slinky Lenovo, it seems more like the one in that picture!

Shaun

Founder
That other site is snappy.
Okay, well that helps. Rob's site is on the same server and does use a database to drive it, so it tells me there's nothing wrong with your Internet connection; the route to the data centre; the route to the server; or the server / database engine.

To help pin-point whether it's CC specifically or the new version of the software generally - can you give the walking and running sites a try - click around, search, etc. and see how they perform by comparison. Give @SatNavSaysStraightOn's cooking site a try too, as that's been upgraded to the same version of the forum software.

Thanks, Shaun :smile:

Okay, well that helps. Rob's site is on the same server and does use a database to drive it, so it tells me there's nothing wrong with your Internet connection; the route to the data centre; the route to the server; or the server / database engine.

To help pin-point whether it's CC specifically or the new version of the software generally - can you give the walking and running sites a try - click around, search, etc. and see how they perform by comparison. Give @SatNavSaysStraightOn's cooking site a try too, as that's been upgraded to the same version of the forum software.

Thanks, Shaun :smile:
Those are quick, although here seems to be on par now. On mobile at least. Not been on laptop for a couple of days

ColinJ

I think that I have found a massive clue!

I was trying to work out what the difference is between me and a lot of the people who are NOT finding New Posts slow. I wondered whether it might be related to the fact that I have made a very large number of posts on the forum (34,000+ :wacko:). That might impose an extra burden on the server in some way? Anyway, I logged out and accessed the forum anonymously and the response was super-fast. Logged in again - super-slow!

I have repeated it a few times and got similar results each time.

Hopefully, that will be helpful!

Shaun

Founder
PS Logging out takes me about 25 seconds now!
Assuming you're using Chrome, it's a known bug. Awaiting a fix from Google. :okay:

As to the speed-up when you log out, it could be a corrupt CC cookie that is causing the slow routing via posts/ in the waterfall image above. Could you try opening an incognito browser session and logging-in to see how it goes.

Thanks

ColinJ

Assuming you're using Chrome, it's a known bug. Awaiting a fix from Google. :okay:
Ah, yes - I was using Chrome on the Lenovo. It logs out quickly in Firefox on the Dell.

Could you try opening an incognito browser session and logging-in to see how it goes.
Still about 10 seconds to get New Posts! (Firefox private window on Dell.. I'll try on the other laptop but don't expect it to be better. I'm also getting slow results using Chrome on my phone.)

And the same in Chrome incognito window on laptop #2.

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Fwiw, I am accessing CC with my Motorola G4 on Firefox.
Fits perfectly on my screen, very fast, can access/see all buttons, and I've got more screen clutter due to the extra mods features.
I never used my mobile much on CC with the previous software version, preferring the layout on my laptop.
Now, thought, mobile view is excellent.

Top Bottom