So slow and....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Sorry, I have to disagree
Too much clutter and opening and closing of virtual keyboard every time I click a button, e.g. smilies
I don't get that on my phone.
The keyboard only opens when I want it, the smileys stay put until I call them up, even then it's only a compact bar at the bottom of the post window.

classic33

Leg End Member
Fwiw, I am accessing CC with my Motorola G4 on Firefox.
Fits perfectly on my screen, very fast, can access/see all buttons, and I've got more screen clutter due to the extra mods features.
I never used my mobile much on CC with the previous software version, preferring the layout on my laptop.
Now, thought, mobile view is excellent.
Once I worked out what the oriental characters were for, it became easier

Parts missing, on PC, tablet & mobile at times. Chrome and Opera, but not firefox(PC).

Accessing the other sites, not logged in, shows very little difference in time to load New Posts. The main part of the site transfer and layout has been done, it's minor bits that need adjusting now. I doubt we'll see them all though, they'll be in the background unoticed.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Accessing the other sites, not logged in, shows very little difference in time to load New Posts.
Do you find that New Posts is slow (10+ seconds) on CycleChat if you are logged in? You have made far more posts than me so if the number of one's posts is connected to the issue of slow response then it should be really slow for you!

classic33

Leg End Member
Do you find that New Posts is slow (10+ seconds) on CycleChat if you are logged in? You have made far more posts than me so if the number of one's posts is connected to the issue of slow response then it should be really slow for you!
Five seconds or less, on mobile & tablet.

classic33

Leg End Member
Curiouser and curiouser... The one thing I haven't tried is my old tablet with its ancient browser. I'll do that in the morning.
Library computer, easy for you to have something to compare it to on similar equipment, took less than two seconds(before logging in and after).

ColinJ

My tablet has a very old browser and crashed trying to load the forum!

Library computer, easy for you to have something to compare it to on similar equipment, took less than two seconds(before logging in and after).
It just struck me that I could try my phone using mobile data instead of wifi. I did that and discovered that New Posts takes...

... over 10 seconds - still! :wacko:

So if I am logged in, the forum is slow (10+ seconds) to show New Posts to me. That is the same on an old Win 7 laptop, a new Win 10 laptop, and a smartphone running Android Marshmallow. It is the same using Firefox or Chrome browsers. It is the same using my Sagem router on Plusnet broadband AND using mobile data on the O2 network.

If I browse anonymously, New Posts is quick by whichever means I use it.

I have come to the conclusion that @Shaun needs to remove the line of forum code which detects that it is me clicking and deliberately introduces a 10 second delay to see how many times I can put up with it! :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
One thing I did, by accident, five years ago, was to mark "All Posts Read". Maybe it doesn't have to search the whole forum for me. Fewer threads to go through?

Seven seconds to bring New Posts on an XP system.

Last edited:

ColinJ

One thing I did, by accident, five years ago, was to mark "All Posts Read". Maybe it doesn't have to search the whole forum for me. Fewer threads to go through?

Seven seconds to bring New Posts on an XP system.
Aha - I clicked 'Mark forums read' and it now instantly tells me that there are no new posts... I think that you may have cracked it!

My normal MO on the forum is to check new threads and 'Ignore' them if I am not interested, or once I get bored of them. The rest keep popping up from time to time. So yes, there were probably thousands of them potentially still visible to me.

Yep, quick on all devices now - thanks!

classic33

Leg End Member
If you've no interest in a thread, it could keep on getting new posts, and you'd not realise/bother or see them.

It might be the answer, might not be. I was thinking of the number of old, unread threads that might be there.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've followed this thread with passing interest and this morning decided to put my watch stopwatch to good use. It took literally one second to load new posts. I think it was probably less before coming here.

On my mobile it takes longer to load this thread!!!

As an aside when I've finished reading and I'm happy there is nothing else I want to view later I always click "mark forums read." I'm surprised it took four pages to check the obvious solution but clearly one which hadn't been considered.

Last edited:
Top Bottom