1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So so nearly there..

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by gbb, 8 Feb 2008.

1. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

Crikey, ive been rebuilding a 531 framed Raleigh for 2 months now....not continuously, but just here and there. Its so nearly done and now i got to leave it for another week.
    Got the final few bits today, bartape, gear cable, etc etc...only to find the other cable i already had is too short :smile:..by about 30mm :biggrin:

Rode it up and down the road..it certainly seems smooth. Brakes are cr@p but i'll play with them later. Rear deraileurs work well, cant set the front till i got another cable.

I'll post some pics soon, once i've got it all sorted. But nearly £200 for the rebuild :biggrin::ohmy:...i didnt think it'd cost that much :sad:...and theres still some old bits i'd rather replace IF i could be bothered, IF it were REALLY necessary, and IF i could justify it endlessly to SWMBO :biggrin:

Anyone else caught out with just how much it costs ???
    Anyone else f@rting about doing a job for weeks on end ??

2. yenrod

yenrod Guest

G' theirs nowt like putting that bike together and knowing everyinsandout !

:smile:

3. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Did that with my son's bike. Given a frame and wheels so I thought it would be cheap. Time I had done everything, it was a few hundred quid.

4. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

the trick is to buy different bits over many months from different places, and you'll not be able to add it up;).

indeed start buying bits now that you like the look of, then think what bike you'll build with them later:biggrin: