So someone wins the TDF...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mondobongo

Über Member
For the Roadies it would be a Major Win, for the general public it would I regret to say barely register and even then would be tainted by their belief that all cyclists are druggies.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Keith Oates said:
For the country as a whole it would be of interest for a few days but not much after that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bit like the Rugby World Cup then, or every time we get a few golds at the Olympics

But we win the footie 42 years ago and we still frickin go on about it :wacko:

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I don't know, Cav is getting on the Main news. Saw some column inches in the red tops yesterday. thats pretty good for what is a minority sport.

Anyway, where is this TDF winner coming from?

Keith Oates

Janner
zimzum42 said:
Bit like the Rugby World Cup then, or every time we get a few golds at the Olympics

But we win the footie 42 years ago and we still frickin go on about it :wacko:[/QUOTE]
That's because miracles happen very rarely and the chances are will not be repeated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
mondobongo said:
For the Roadies it would be a Major Win, for the general public it would I regret to say barely register and even then would be tainted by their belief that all cyclists are druggies.

Isn't this a bit over-defensive? I don't see any evidence that the general public thinks that cyclists are any more drugged up than athletes for example. And certainly the only person who has ever brought this up in conversations that I have had are other cyclists. I think we are sometimes too pessimistic and paranoid.

CotterPin

Flying_Monkey said:
Isn't this a bit over-defensive? I don't see any evidence that the general public thinks that cyclists are any more drugged up than athletes for example. And certainly the only person who has ever brought this up in conversations that I have had are other cyclists. I think we are sometimes too pessimistic and paranoid.

Oh, I don't know, FM.

After work Friday night in the pub I was trying to persuade my workmates what an amazing thing Cavendish had achieved. Most of them either thought (a) that the TdeF was a pharmacopia rather than a sporting event so who cares who wins? and (:biggrin: in a few days time Cav'll be uncovered as taking drugs in any event. ;)

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It would be huge news.

Those who remember Roche's win in '87 may well remember that it made the front pages on all the newspapers and headlined the TV news bulletins. If a British rider won it would be much bigger.

It is interesting to note that Cavendish's success this year has pushed the doping revelations out of the news. Even Ricco only got a few brief mentions.

wafflycat

Flying_Monkey said:

Last year's Dunwich Dynamo, as we were cycling out of London, all the highly polite and sober (yeah, right) patrons of various establishments licenced for the sale of alcohol could be heard to shout out "You're all on drugs!" as we cycled by.

wafflycat

And of course, there already has been a UK winner of the Tour... Nicole Cooke has already won the women's Tour de France and many other major road titles. But I forgot, she's a girlie and that doesn't count. ;)

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I think tennis is the only women's sport that 'counts'.....

And as for the drugs thing, it certainly does get brought up most of the time when i talk about pro cycling to non-cyclists.....

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

zimzum42 said:
I think tennis is the only women's sport that 'counts'.....

And as for the drugs thing, it certainly does get brought up most of the time when i talk about pro cycling to non-cyclists.....

Yeah, and if you mention drugs to football fans they dont know what the hell your talking about though most football fans are stuck at 7yrs of age anyhow !

mondobongo

Über Member
Over defensive No a Realist Yes.

One of the kids at work was asking about Cav and after a couple of minutes said 'He'll be on the drugs then ramming his point home by miming an injection'.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

mondobongo said:
Over defensive No a Realist Yes.

One of the kids at work was asking about Cav and after a couple of minutes said 'He'll be on the drugs then ramming his point home by miming an injection'.

Well, footballs bent to high hell with corruption and bent deals...

Top Bottom