1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So... this is screwed isn't it?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by chthonic, 9 Oct 2007.

1. chthonic

chthonic New Member

crackedtube.jpg

Coming home last night there was some creaking when I applied the power heavily, so I thought I'd stop and check if there was a problem (i've learnt that lesson before).

The downtube is cracked through nearly 3/4 of the way round, mostly being held together by the Reynolds 531 sticker!

Is this worth getting welded back together, or am I just better off buying a new bike? It's 8 years old and done about 16,000 miles...

2. andharwheel

andharwheel Senior Member

Is that a Dawes Galaxy? I broke one of a similar age a few years ago in exactly the same place.
    If it is a Dawes they have a lifetime guarantee. I got a new frame from them.
    regards

3. Tim Bennet.

Tim Bennet. Entirely Average Member

Am I right in thinking it's welded and not a lugged frame?

Replacing the tube is very straight forward with lugs and is possible with a welded frame but not quite as straightforward.

However both methods plus respray will not be cheap, so unless the bike is a cherished heirloom, any expenditure should be weighed up against the reality that there are plenty of Reynolds 653 frames available for about £325 or so. (IIRC)

4. OP
    OP
    chthonic

chthonic New Member

It's a old-style Dawes Horizon - Galaxy frame, but cheaper bits.

I'm going to try Dawes for a replacement frame, but it was crashed about five years ago and that will no doubt be their get-out clause. The top tube has some paint stress marks too, and this is one reason I immediately checked the frame when I heard creaking.

I think I'll write it off to experience and get a new bike.

5. asterix

asterix Comrade Member

Had the same problem a few months after being T-boned by a camper van. It seemed that the only damage was a taco'ed back wheel and neither I nor my LBS (who checked the bike) noticed a tiny dent in the DT and the tube was very very slightly bent. I did about 25 very careful miles from Kilburn back to York after noticing but it got no worse. I was ready to ditch the frame, but eventually got the tube replaced for about £100, incl respray (it was a pretty good bike). I guess it'd probably cost another £50 now, a few years later.

6. gary r

gary r Veteran

i have an old kenesis Racelight T about 54.55cm if your interested,you could just swap the bits over??

7. gary r

gary r Veteran

Ebay?? or a bit of tape and a jubilee clip should see you OK for a few thousand miles!!!!!

8. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Staff Member

Completely OT here - but are you the chthonic who is the QOTW person on B3ta.com?