So... this is screwed isn't it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chthonic

Über Member
crackedtube.jpg

Coming home last night there was some creaking when I applied the power heavily, so I thought I'd stop and check if there was a problem (i've learnt that lesson before).

The downtube is cracked through nearly 3/4 of the way round, mostly being held together by the Reynolds 531 sticker!

Is this worth getting welded back together, or am I just better off buying a new bike? It's 8 years old and done about 16,000 miles...

andharwheel

Is that a Dawes Galaxy? I broke one of a similar age a few years ago in exactly the same place.
If it is a Dawes they have a lifetime guarantee. I got a new frame from them.
regards

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Am I right in thinking it's welded and not a lugged frame?

Replacing the tube is very straight forward with lugs and is possible with a welded frame but not quite as straightforward.

However both methods plus respray will not be cheap, so unless the bike is a cherished heirloom, any expenditure should be weighed up against the reality that there are plenty of Reynolds 653 frames available for about £325 or so. (IIRC)

OP
OP
chthonic

chthonic

Über Member
It's a old-style Dawes Horizon - Galaxy frame, but cheaper bits.

I'm going to try Dawes for a replacement frame, but it was crashed about five years ago and that will no doubt be their get-out clause. The top tube has some paint stress marks too, and this is one reason I immediately checked the frame when I heard creaking.

I think I'll write it off to experience and get a new bike.

asterix

Comrade Member
Had the same problem a few months after being T-boned by a camper van. It seemed that the only damage was a taco'ed back wheel and neither I nor my LBS (who checked the bike) noticed a tiny dent in the DT and the tube was very very slightly bent. I did about 25 very careful miles from Kilburn back to York after noticing but it got no worse. I was ready to ditch the frame, but eventually got the tube replaced for about £100, incl respray (it was a pretty good bike). I guess it'd probably cost another £50 now, a few years later.

Top Bottom