So, this might have happened... NBD - 2016 Fuji Touring workhorse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I am fat-fingered with questionable dexterity ;)
Tbh I'm probably the same.. will reserve judgement until the spanners have arrived; which according to ebay won't be until Wednesday :sad:

You have a very clear and easily understood writing style. :okay:
Thanks - appreciate you saying so :smile:

I think I need to work on my sentence lengths, however..

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Unexpectedly, these arrived today :smile:

12x8_IMG_7319a.jpg

12x8_IMG_7336a.jpg

The spanners seem more paletable than the packaging.. being of a simple pressed construction that would doubless have cost a third of what they did if from a no-name Chinese supplier; at least I can be reasonably sure they'll last.

Keen to get the bike back in action the front hub was duly stripped using my new tools. Granted, some longer, more cushioned handles would be nicer to use; however, given all the factors previously listed relative to these double-ended jobs versus more opulent alternatives I'm happy with them :smile:

The inner nut on the axle (for which the thinner cone spanner is required) is 13mm while the outer one is 17mm - larger than what could be serviced by the tools I've just bought, but I have plenty of "proper" spanners as well as the adjustable I elected to use this time out of lazyness. Everything came off one side of the axle, with the remainder of the assembly withdrawn from the other side of the wheel:

12x8_IMG_7325a.jpg

Generally everything seemed in decent nick with no obivous corrosion or contamination - despite the hub feeling decidedly snatchy / grindy (and caused it to be stripped in the first place)..

12x8_IMG_7322a.jpg

The ball bearings were coaxed, somewhat violently from of their outer race in the hub with a magnet. There are 11 on each side and they're 4.80mm diameter (which is close to 3/16" at 4.77mm)..

12x8_IMG_7328a.jpg

Again the balls seemed in good nick, the grease clean and not visibly contaminated. They were chucked in the paraffin jar, swirled around for a bit, retrieved with the magnet and dried off on some old boxers (available for purchase on my Onlyfans page).

12x8_IMG_7330a.jpg

Once cleaned with a bamboo stick stuffed up an old sock the outer races looked decent too.. although the finish seemed somewhat "different" to that of the inner race; perhaps due to different production / finishing methods..

12x8_IMG_7331a.jpg

My freshly cleaned balls were re-fitted with lashings of moly grease:

12x8_IMG_7332a.jpg

.. before a final bead of general grease was added around the face of the seal, to protect against water ingress between this and the outer cover.

12x8_IMG_7333a.jpg

Everything went back together OK - with bearing preload setting being a bit hit-and-miss due to the axle wanting to turn with whichever nut it felt like - however the end result felt smooth without any detectable play when attempting to twist the axle in the hub.

It certainly seems a lot smoother than before with no hang-ups; even if getting a little rough when tightened to a greater-than-ideal extent.

I did want to go out for a shakedown afterwards, however a good dose of work in the garden, along with being eaten alive by the bastard midges has left me less than energised.. so I think I'll let the bike sit for tonight. In any case I'm still involved in wranglings with the tyre suppliers, so would rather not ride on the one I've fitted in case I have to return it. ffs, is it too much to ask that stuff's just as described without having to fight for the smallest possible thing to be right..?

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Having returned the undersized Conti rubber in disgust, I went for some Schwalbe Delta Cruisers (K-guard level 3, apparently) instead... which turned up earlier in the week. Thanks to all those who recommended them in my tyres thread :smile:

Upon unpacking them I was was mildly surprised to see they're the "reflex" version with the reflective strip around the sidewall.. not what I was expecting, however the ebay listing was somewhat ambiguous (stating both "black" and "reflex"), while I'm not overly bothered either way and they were the cheapest I could find..

Today I got the chance to fit them so sat out in the garden in the glorious weather and did so.. a welcome reminder of how privileged I am to live in such a beautiful part of the world... even if it's filled with tossers and is a logistical nightmare.

After a much-needed 12hrs sleep today was about mindfulness and presence.. so I took my time and paid attention as best as possible with the tyres. The much-appreciated cheapo, stop-gap 700x38c rubber was easily removed from the front wheel and the significantly-tighter Schwalbe coaxed on.

Having watched a few learned videos on tyre fitting recently I took my time systematically working around the rim to push the tyre bead into the centre channel before squeezing a bit more of the unseated bead onto the rim.. which worked perfectly and allowed me to get the tyre on without levers. This was aided no doubt by the synthetic grease I'd applied to the tyre bead beforehand..

After several attempts to get the valve roughly pointing in the right direction and the tyre on square, everything was finally inflated to an appropriate pressure. The reflective strip on the tyre made it a lot more obvious / intuitive as to which areas of the tyre weren't sitting right and after some actual thought I came to appreciate how the low spots on one side are just sat too far inboard; so need pushing over from the other side to correct.

Once any obviously unseated areas were addressed and the tyre pressurised it was as true as any I've had in the past. I'm ambivalently starting to feel like the old man who knows things..

The new tyre is far closer to its stated width than the Conti at around 31.5mm, however it's still disappointingly shallow at around 28.5mm. Could be worse I guess and tbh I really can't be arsed with returning another pair / once more entering the budget-tyre-lottery.

12x8_IMG_7358a.jpg

Tread depth is around 1.75mm measured at the centre, in line with the tread. They look like pretty decent tyres tbh and I can't complain for what I paid.

12x8_IMG_7357a.jpg

I popped out earlier for a trip to the bottle bank and ideally a short local loop; however circumstances meant I was called home before the latter. Nevertheless, over the 2 miles covered the tyres didn't seem obviously horrible - so hopefully they'll do the job :smile:

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
Having returned the undersized Conti rubber back in disgust, I went for some Schwalbe Delta Cruisers (K-guard level 3, apparently) instead... which turned up earlier in the week.

Upon unpacking them I was was mildly surprised to see they're the "reflex" version with the reflective strip around the sidewall.. not what I was expecting, however the ebay listing is somewhat ambiguous (stating "black" and "reflex"), while I'm not overly bothered either way and they were the cheapest I could find..

Today I got the chance to fit them, so sat out in the garden in the glorious weather and did so.. a welcome reminder of how privileged I am to live in such a beautiful part of the country - even if it's filled with tossers and a logistical nightmare.

After a much-needed 12hrs of sleep, today was about mindfulness and presence.. so I took my time and paid attention as best as possible with the tyres. The much-appreciated cheapo 700x38c rubber was easily removed from the front wheel and the significantly-tighter Schwalbe coaxed on.

Having watched a few learned videos on tyre fitting recently I took my time systematically working around the rim to push the tyre bead into the centre channel before squeezing a bit more of the unseated bead onto the rim.. which worked perfectly and allowed me to get the tyre on without levers. This was aided no doubt by the synthetic grease I'd applied to the tyre bead beforehand..

After several attempts to get the valve roughly pointing in the right direction and the tyre on square, everything was finally inflated to an appropriate pressure. The reflective strip on the tyre made it a lot more obvious / intuitive as to which areas of the tyre weren't sitting right and after some actual thought I came to appreciate how the low spots on one side are just sat too far inboard; so need pushing over from the other side to correct.

Once any obviously unseated areas were addressed and the tyre pressurised, it was as true as any I've had in the past. I'm ambivalently starting to feel like the old man who knows things..

The new tyre is far closer to its stated width than the Conti at around 31.5mm, however it's still disappointingly shallow at around 28.5mm. Could be worse I guess and tbh I really can't be arsed with returning another pair and once more entering the budget-tyre-lottery.

View attachment 691568

Tread depth is around 1.75mm measured at the centre, in line with the tread. They look like pretty decent tyres tbh and I can't complain for what I paid.

View attachment 691566

I popped out earlier for a trip to the bottle bank and ideally a short local loop; however circumstances meant I was called home before the latter. Nevertheless, over the 2 miles covered the tyres didn't seem obviously horrible - so hopefully they'll do the job :smile:

That method definitely works, I can fit a Brompton tyre now without any levers

All uphill

Still rolling along
Having returned the undersized Conti rubber back in disgust, I went for some Schwalbe Delta Cruisers (K-guard level 3, apparently) instead... which turned up earlier in the week.

Upon unpacking them I was was mildly surprised to see they're the "reflex" version with the reflective strip around the sidewall.. not what I was expecting, however the ebay listing is somewhat ambiguous (stating "black" and "reflex"), while I'm not overly bothered either way and they were the cheapest I could find..

Today I got the chance to fit them, so sat out in the garden in the glorious weather and did so.. a welcome reminder of how privileged I am to live in such a beautiful part of the country - even if it's filled with tossers and a logistical nightmare.

After a much-needed 12hrs of sleep, today was about mindfulness and presence.. so I took my time and paid attention as best as possible with the tyres. The much-appreciated cheapo 700x38c rubber was easily removed from the front wheel and the significantly-tighter Schwalbe coaxed on.

After several attempts to get the valve roughly pointing in the right direction, and the tyre on square, everything was finally inflated to an appropriate pressure. The reflective strip on the tyre made it a lot more obvious / intuitive as to which areas of the tyre weren't sitting right, and after some actual thought I came to appreciate how the low spots on one side are just sat too far inboard; so need pushing over from the other side.

Once any obviously unseated areas were addressed and the tyre pressurised, it was as true as any I've had in the past. I'm ambivalently starting to feel like the old man who knows things..

The new tyre is far closer to its stated width than the Conti at around 31.5mm, however it's still disappointingly shallow at around 28.5mm. Could be worse I guess and tbh I really can't be arsed with returning another pair and once more entering the budget-tyre-lottery.

View attachment 691568

View attachment 691566

Back in 2018 and 2019 I did lots of miles with Delta Cruisers on my old do-everything steel bike. I remember them as being very good; certainly (for me) far preferable to the Marathon+ that came after them.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

That method definitely works, I can fit a Brompton tyre now without any levers

Absolutely - the discovery / acknowledgement of this approach combined with some applied patience has been a breath of fresh air tbh. Still not sure how to remove tyres without any levers though - tips gratefully received :tongue:

Back in 2018 and 2019 I did lots of miles with Delta Cruisers on my old do-everything steel bike. I remember them as being very good; certainly (for me) far preferable to the Marathon+ that came after them.

Thanks - that's both interesting and reassuring :smile:

As always looking forward to covering some miles on the Fuji, while it feels a little further forward with one more niggling issue sorted for the forseeable. Increasingly feeling like a relaible, known-quantity that I'd take in preference to any of my other gear on a tour..

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Having returned the undersized Conti rubber in disgust, I went for some Schwalbe Delta Cruisers (K-guard level 3, apparently) instead... which turned up earlier in the week. Thanks to all those who recommended them in my tyres thread :smile:

Upon unpacking them I was was mildly surprised to see they're the "reflex" version with the reflective strip around the sidewall.. not what I was expecting, however the ebay listing was somewhat ambiguous (stating both "black" and "reflex"), while I'm not overly bothered either way and they were the cheapest I could find..

Today I got the chance to fit them, so sat out in the garden in the glorious weather and did so.. a welcome reminder of how privileged I am to live in such a beautiful part of the world - even if it's filled with tossers and a logistical nightmare.

After a much-needed 12hrs sleep, today was about mindfulness and presence.. so I took my time and paid attention as best as possible with the tyres. The much-appreciated cheapo, stop-gap 700x38c rubber was easily removed from the front wheel and the significantly-tighter Schwalbe coaxed on.

Once any obviously unseated areas were addressed and the tyre pressurised it was as true as any I've had in the past. I'm ambivalently starting to feel like the old man who knows things..

The new tyre is far closer to its stated width than the Conti at around 31.5mm, however it's still disappointingly shallow at around 28.5mm. Could be worse I guess and tbh I really can't be arsed with returning another pair / once more entering the budget-tyre-lottery.

View attachment 691568

View attachment 691566

I like the reflective band - same on my Marathon Supreme HD's, they match the graphics too, which wasn't why I chose them:

20230503_112219.jpg

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like the reflective band - same on my Marathon Supreme HD's, they match the graphics too, which wasn't why I chose them:

View attachment 691617

Yes; as much as I generally prefer subtle styling I don't think the band looks bad on the Fuji either.. the only thing that grates a bit is the fact the existing rear tyre doesn't have one. Certainly matches the aesthetic of your ride nicely :smile:

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Things have been largely quiet on the Fuji front recently, since the bike's mostly as I want it and nothing's dropped off.

I have been keeping an eye out for a 170mm replacement for the 175mm crankset however, since I get quite a lot of toe-overlap with the front mudguard and all the cool kids on the internet tell me that smaller cranks are so hot right now. While I'm extremely skeptical of whatever new trend is helping to prop up the cycling industry this week, the science seems sound and my joints are ruined, my flexibility limited and my belly large... all of which could potentially be better accommodated by a shorter crank.

Further, my Routier has a 165mm crankset and seems fine (maybe nicer in this regard, in an unquantifiable way), so I can be confident that shorter cranks won't be any worse than what's on there currently.

Oddly the crankset fitted to the Fuji (Shimano Deore M591) is only available in 170 and 175mm flavours; leap-frogging the middle-of-the-road / typically-most-common 172.5mm option.

Since I've already bought replacement chainrings and low-geared triples are increasingly thin on the ground, it made sense to buy a replacement M591 crankset with the shorter throw. These seem like hen's teeth so I widenened my search to the ostensibly very similar M590; which upon casual glance looks exactly the same.

After a few months of looking I got hold of something apparently suitable for reasonable money in the form of an M590 in pretty decent nick - as illustrated below after a good clean..

12x8_IMG_7851a.jpg

The crankset came with a pair of tatty Shimano PD-M324 pedals and BB51 bottom bracket - which turned out to be scrap; although did donate its inner plastic shield in replacement for the cracked one on the bike.

The first job was to remove the pedals; which is easier on the bike but I wanted to get them off first incase there were any issues. I tried to use my brain for once; reversing the NDS pedal on the axle to make the whole lot more stable and give something to lever against; all sat on blocks of wood to support the axle and a towel to protect everything. Thankfully the pedals have an 8mm hex drive in the back so allow the use of a breaker bar; the NDS pedal coming off fairly obligingly.

The DS pedal on the other hand was another matter; taking as much torque as I dared put through the fairly skinny hex bit and remaining resolutely stuck. This apparently wasn't helped by some abuse with the propane torch or application of paraffin (which I'd actually added some days previous); so I had to consider other options.

I was quite pleased with the end result. I could put my foot on the pedal end of the NDS crank arm to prevent it rotating, load up the breaker bar as much as I dared then give the whole lot an additional incentive by twatting the spanner with a mallet - which worked beautifully first time :becool:

12x8_IMG_7842a.jpg

Pedals off, next were the chainrings as I wanted to swap over those from my existing M591crankset - partially because the outer has the plastic guard; for which there was no provision on the ring fitted to the replacement M590.

I'd purchased Shimano's TL-FC21 tool for the chainring nuts and thankfully it wasn't really necessary to crack the bolts off thanks to the friction between the nuts and rings... later reassembly was a totally different matter that saw the tool slipping out of the nuts many times, often causing damage.

Ultimately I don't think this tool is intended to react the full tightening torque; just hold the nuts in place while the bolts are being spun up. From that point I had success winding the torque wrench round rapidly which seemed to incentivise the bolts turning on the nuts rather than the nuts in the crankset..

12x8_IMG_7838a.jpg

The new crankset was fully stripped and got a good clean with paraffin. I noticed some superficial corrosion inside the axle which was treated with phosphoric acid; with varying results.. it certainly did a great job on the corrosion nearest the DS; removing it almost completely and leaving just a bit of discolouration in the area. I don't think it did so well further into the axle for some reason but it's dried leaving a reasonable protective layer so the rust shouldn't get any worse.

Next the original crankset was removed from the bike, stripped, cleaned and its chainrings waxed in preparation for fitting to the new crank.

Now I had both crank assys bare in front of me I thought it prudent to confirm that they were indeed interchangeable.. which much to my dismay turned out not to be the case :sad:

Long story short the deal-breaker was that the axle on the original M591 is 126.5mm; 6.5mm longer than that of the M590 replacement. The DS crank arm assy of the M591 is fitted with a 6.5mm thick plastic spacer and its geometry is such that the M590 crank would go on leaving the (stated 50mm) chainline unchanged, but would position the DS pedal further inboard than that of the M591; and we all know the potential dangers of assymetry across the bike..

Dejected I reassembled everything as I'd found it and resolved to flog the M590 chainset. As the evening wore on I became more defiantly curious and ventured down the shed with various measuring devices. I checked the pedal position of the original M591 setup by measuring from the outside of each crank arm to the opposite side of the down tube with calipers and was shocked to find that the DS crank arm was more than 10mm futher outboard than that on the NDS :ohmy:

A few more measurements confirmed that the fitment of the replacement M590 crankset should actually improve this situation, so this morning it was all back on again with renewed enthusiasm. To avoid wasting more time I fitted the M590 crankset complete and this time found that the DS crank was now only around 1.2mm further out than that on the DS (around 10% of the previous discrepency).. I'll take that!

A quick blast round the village was had to ensure all was well and upon my return everything was stripped again, appropriate bits cleaned a bit more and waxed before being reassembled with the original rings on the new crank.

I also had to polish out an inboard section on the NDS crank arm where it locates on the axle, due to interferance in this area preventing it from seating correctly. I think this was because it had been ridden with the crank arm bolts insufficiently tight in the past which had caused some local damage / a high spot where the material had been displaced by the axle's splines.

Anyway, it's now all back together, on the bike and on the face of it I'm very happy with it. I only have this morning's brief test ride to go by but the shorter cranks do perhaps feel a bit nicer (although I'd probably not have noticed in a blind test) and the overlap is much less if not gone completely (oddly it's fine on the DS, not the NDS - but that's a problem for another day).

The new crankset is in generally better / more presentable nick than the original, and of course actually fits as it should rather than the cranks being spaced differently across the bike. This of course begs the question of how this happened in the first place with an apparently original crank. Was it intentional (to accommodate something I've missed, because of availability issues with the correct items, or perhaps the M591 cranks were cheap..?) or a mistake (crank incorrectly specced at the design stage, the wrong parts supplied). Maybe the M591 I have was fitted as a replacement; although I think this is unlikely given the age of the bike.

Anyway, ultimately it's been a fortuitous if time-consuming rollercoaster - sourcing a crank I thought was essentially the same as the original in the key areas, finding it wasn't and assuming it wouldn't fit but then finding the original was wrong and the new crank is the answer!

While trying to learn about the differences between the M590 and M591 cranks I found precious little on the net, so in the hope of maybe saving someone else from a similar fate the key differences I've found are covered below.

As far as I can tell both cranksets are (or more correctly were, since they now appear discontinued) available in 170 and 175mm crank lengths, with or without the big placcy chainring protector and with one of two gearing options - 48/36/26 or 44/32/22. Both are available in black or silver.

The headline difference is the 6.5mm longer 126.5mm axle on the M591; which, if used with the included 6.5mm spacer places the chainline in the same place as the M590 but puts the pedal position around 6.5mm further out. I suspect that the M591 may be intended to fit the larger 83mm downhill bottom bracket spec instead of the 73mm MTB standard the M590 appears to be designed to work with; athough I can't be arsed to think about this any more...

EDIT - I think the wonkyness of the M591 and other similar cranksets in the Shimano range is intended for use with chain cases..

I think the two images below nicely illustrate the difference in axle length and crank arm depth / offset between the two (M591 on left). Note that the black plastic spacer is still fitted to the base of the M591's axle:

12x8_IMG_7880a.jpg

Difference in axle length illustrated again:

12x8_IMG_7886a.jpg

I've also found the shape of the crank arms to be fairly subtly different too; not sure if this is an M590/M591 thing or whether it's due to the different crank arm lengths. M591 at the top..

12x8_IMG_7894a.jpg

12x8_IMG_7897a.jpg

Tbh I prefer the aesthetic of the outgoing M591; however I don't prefer the prospect of walking in circles because my legs are on the wonk after thousands of miles with effectively mis-matched crank offsets..

NDS arms:

12x8_IMG_7898a.jpg

12x8_IMG_7899a.jpg

12x8_IMG_7900a.jpg

So there we have it; it's been a long and convoluted road but it turned out OK in the end. Thinking I'll hang onto the M591 crankset for a while, then maybe look to move it on if I have no issues with the M590 replacement :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Pics of the finished crankset I forgot to post yesterday..

12x8_IMG_7901a.jpg

12x8_IMG_7903a.jpg

I took the bike out for a test ride as it was such a nice night and I'd take any excuse to get out..

It was (relatively speaking) fast and generally felt very good. I wasn't absolutely hammering it (mean HR 133bpm, 80% of ride split equally between zones 2 and 3) but managed 14.2mph average (12-13 being typical) and set a few PRs on Strava.

Of course there are many other factors at play -lack of panniers, relatively recently-discovered higher tyre pressures, favourable wind in some directions - but there was nothing to suggest that the cranks were worse in any way than those they replaced..

Pedalling seemed perhaps "smoother" when out of the saddle up hills and spinning on the flat, while of course crank length has only been reduced by around 2.8% so differences are unlikely to be stark.

Very happy with how this has panned out and really the only job left is to touch up the paint damage on the frame and then the bike will be "finished" :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

It's now a little over a year since I acquired the Fuji :smile:

In this time it's seen quite a lot of work / parts and is nearly there; just the rear shifting issue to sort and frame to touch up and I think I can call it done.

The bike has severed me well; opening the door to otherwise unattainable, unknown utility / carrying capacity. It's allowed me to experience for the first time bar end shifters and pannier bags (yay), Brookes saddles (nope) and long-stroke, wonky cranksets (definitely nope). The bike's tattyness and practical worth has also helped to drag me out in the winter when otherwise I'd never have considered leaving the house.

In my ownership the bike's covered around 1200 miles - about half of these utility trips; mostly to the supermarket / shops but also to see friends in various local places. It's avoided between 400 and 600 miles travelled in the car; correspondingly saving 40-60 litres or £60-90's worth of petrol.

I've amassed quite a few spares to support its modest spec and hope to get many more years of utility out of it. Hopefully one day it'll repay its cost in fuel saved; however at the current rate that's going to take quite some time :tongue:

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I thought it was a child seat ! :whistle:
lol - thankfully I have no need of such things!

Looks A bit drastic!
Was necessary tbh!

A bit of a spot-the-difference below; the state of the bike in the same place in the same grotty "summer" weather but around 1yr apart.

Doesn't look like a lot for a year's graft although much has changed!

12x8_img_5407a-jpg.jpg

12x8_IMG_8113a.jpg

:smile:

Top Bottom