So true ......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Me too,
Because I'm forced to sit round a fire to drink beer with my mates, instead of going to the pub, and we're having to make up all sorts of 'home grown' entertainments to keep ourselves busy -

We've even got a whole caravan dedicated to craft activities now.

But thankfully, unlike being a 16 yr old, I don't have a desperate crush on anyone.

So on balance I'm preferring this second teenager hood. :okay:

screenman

Legendary Member
I thought you were older than that.
When I was 16 (1970) petrol was 33p a gallon.
I can well remember, during the fuel rationing in 1973, people saying that if petrol went up to 50p a gallon, that they would give up driving.

I remember the queues as I had a part time job suplementing my full time one working in a petrol station. I was driving a MK2 Jag at the and was 17.

D

Deleted member 26715

I thought it was more than that.
44p for 4 star 46p for 2 star, I used to run the SS50 on 4 star, friends said it was going to end in disaster & they paid the extra 2p for the 2 star. It did end in disaster but not because of the fuel but because of the lady who wanted to put her Cortina in the exact space me & the SS50 were going to be next, 43rd anniversary of it on Tuesday.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I remember my dad putting 4 gallons of petrol in his Lanchester woody and getting change from £1. :ohmy:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I thought you were older than that.
:boxing::boxing::boxing:
Born in 1962. Petrol may have been slightly less than 80p per gallon in 1978; it was a bit of a guess. When I was 14, my summer job (to pay for my first REAL bike, a Puch Alpine road bike) was as a petrol pump attendant at the magnificent rate of 20p per hour plus tips. In those days it was 2 star, 3 star, 4 star (the standard grade) and 5 star petrol. IIRC 4 star was about 60 pence per gallon. It was more expensive where I lived back then; island prices :smile:.

Brandane

Legendary Member
44p for 4 star 46p for 2 star, I used to run the SS50 on 4 star, friends said it was going to end in disaster & they paid the extra 2p for the 2 star. It did end in disaster but not because of the fuel but because of the lady who wanted to put her Cortina in the exact space me & the SS50 were going to be next, 43rd anniversary of it on Tuesday.
I always thought that 2 star was the lowest octane grade, working up to 5 star?

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
I worked in a petrol station when I came out of the Army , about 1974 from Imemory , I can’t remember the exact price but I remember a bloke moaning like hell because it it cost him £5 to fill up his Jag , I also remember the garage owner telling me that people were putting 4-5 star petrol into their motor that should run on 2 star and they were damaging their engine

Slick

Guru
I always thought that 2 star was the lowest octane grade, working up to 5 star?
That was my recollection too, but it was hazy time so could very well be wrong. ^_^

I think my earliest memory for actually buying fuel it was just under a quid a gallon around 84 as I had motor bikes and cars all for off road and remember it going just over a pound just as I got on the road at 16 much to my annoyance.

Top Bottom