so what do you guys make of my new lock?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

millerlock

Hey people, just joined in the hope that we could get some feedback on a new bike lock that me and my brothers have newly created, and see if you guys like it...

We have just produced a prototype and have a patient pending, were currently trying to drum up some support from cyclist to help us to get them in the shops sooner rather than later.

http://www.millerlock.com/

Would greatly appreciate and thoughts on the lock and your support.
you can follow us at all the normal places

Thanks drew.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I guess the unique part is the bottle cage mount but unfortunately thats what immediately puts me off, Ive put cages on both my mounts by choice and take two bottles for longer rides. I have noticed though that the majority of bikes in Tesco bike racks dont seem to bother with bottle cages at all. The other thing i wondered was how hard they are to cut through for thieves, both in terms of forcing theives to need proper tools and reaching a standard that is good enough for bicycle insurance to be valid when using the lock.

I can imagine it being fairly popular with casual cyclists who want a quick and easy way to lock their bike to stuff. :smile:

HovR

Über Member
You mention it is secured via the bottle cage mounts, but how secure are these mounts? Have you tried forcing the lock off the bike? I have no experience of this, but I've heard that those mounts aren't the most secure attachment on a lot of bikes.

Secondly, how is it attached to the bottle cage mounts. Is it just a regular allen bolt, like you would attach your bottle cage? What stops someone from simply unscrewing it?

MrJamie also raises some good points.

An innovative idea, and I agree that there is some room for improvement in the area of bike locks - But I'm not sure if you have quite got the execution right just yet.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Nice idea but as other have said there are some security isssues and i would not leave a bike anywhere secured with just a cable lock as they are too easily cut.

OP
OP
millerlock

millerlock

thanks for your reply,
The mount lends a lot to the ease of use of the product, it also allows us to make it fit most bikes out of the box. The other unique feature which aid's the security and strength of the lock, when locked, is that the end of the chain is secured into the barrel of the lock, the product is all CNC machined parts, and the construction of the lock gives a high level of inherent strength because of the way it fits together. We haven't finalised the spec for the chain but there is no reason why it wont be as strong as any chain you can buy off the shelf now.

Please follow us on facebook for a steady stream of information and a better mechanical overview of the product as we release it.

Thanks

Drew
:thumbsup:
(also your welcome to vote for us to help recoup some of our costs here - https://www.facebook.com/borroloans/?sk=app_197531983701200&app_data=final-353)

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Secondly, how is it attached to the bottle cage mounts. Is it just a regular allen bolt, like you would attach your bottle cage? What stops someone from simply unscrewing it?
I thought that initially, but i think you just need to make sure the lock loops around the frame as well as the lampost/rack like you would with a normal lock.

Ive been thinking of my own lock ideas recently as it goes :smile: Id think this lock would be pretty good marketed at kids bikes as theyre always leaving bikes outside shops unlocked and theyd love the designs, but im not sure they often have bottle cage mounts these days :sad:

OP
OP
millerlock

millerlock

this lock uses a chain to clear up the confusion. the point about the mount strength is a good one, we have made a very strong mount bracket and high quality fixings, and the when your bike is locked the chain locks into itself so even if someone wanted to go to town kicking or smashing it off the frame they would be no closer to stealing your bike, and when it's not locked your generally riding it.

as said above more technical information will follow, all input is welcome.

Thanks

Drew

Not a bad idea, but as people say - what if you need that tote cage for a bottle?

As pointed out, it doesn't need to be attached to the bottle mount to lock the bike, so how about this - redesign the concept slightly, so that instead of fitting into the bracket, it fits into a bottle holder. Perhaps a tubular 'roll' that slts into the bottle holder as a bottle does, and you can reel the chain out from it? You could then have the same concept, but the ability to leave the chain at home and take a bottle out easily if you wanted a change.

You'd then have the issue of 'how easy is it to cut through', but as is widely known, this is an issue for all chains out there, and any thief with the right tools determined to do so will defeat any chain.

HovR

Über Member
I thought that initially, but i think you just need to make sure the lock loops around the frame as well as the lampost/rack like you would with a normal lock.

Of course!

A final point that I have to offer, is that it would be important (for me at least) that the lock doesn't rattle around at all whilst the bike is on the move (i.e. the end of the lock protruding out of the winding mechanism).

My U-Lock came with a frame mount, however the lock rattles around so much in the mount that I don't use it at all, as it gets extremely annoying.

OP
OP
millerlock

millerlock

I think it wouldn't be too hard to tweak the design to a clip on off style fixture but in terms of changing the design to fit into a bottle holder, you would have a hard job getting a secure mechanism and the chain to recoil on its own steam.

OP
OP
millerlock

millerlock

HovR, one of the main reasons for making it was to get totally rid of the annoyance of rattling hard to use locks, i promise there will be no rattling :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm not a fan of leaving my bike in public even if it is locked - I've seen too many vandalised locked bikes!

One point about the video - it looks as though the captions have been computer-generated and the computer frequently got them wrong! Do them yourselves and get them right if you are going to use them at all.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
My U-Lock came with a frame mount, however the lock rattles around so much in the mount that I don't use it at all, as it gets extremely annoying.
Mine did too (Abus Granit), had to slide the rubber that covers the U around a little so that it didnt have movement to rattle in the locking mechanism and also had to electrical tape a tiny bit of innertube to the frame to stop it rattling against it there too.

I dont really like the bottle cage idea either, lots of bikes dont have them so would put people off and those that do often bought them to put their bottles in. I think id prefer it if were frame mounted away from the bottle cages altogether and id consider using one alongside my D lock to lock wheels up.

OP
OP
millerlock

millerlock

Were still developing the idea and would be simple to have a frame mount which is something we haven't ruled out, just means the mount would have to be different for all bikes or have some adjustability built into it.

Top Bottom