so what do you guys make of my new lock?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Manonabike

Über Member
I would be inclined to trust a quality D-lock much more. I just don't see how that product could oppose more resistant to a thief than a quality D-lock or quality chain.

The only benefit I see it's the portability but that would not rate higher than security in my list of priorities.

lordloveaduck

please elaborate

It's ugly, truly ugly, and i love my bikes. I chose the components that would compliment my bike, the reason is because my bikes are sexy.
Maybe they may sell to cyclist, like the one in your video, but even that type would choose a D-lock or Chain over something that is as easily hackable and ugly
as your product.

The lock looks like it is built just for show and not for a purpose, and regardless of what sticky labels a person can choose. I would not trust it on my bikes,
The lock may be retractable like a seat belt now, but it will fail as the components inside are not designed to last. The lock it's self has attack points that are easily accessible, and the chain/cable is not strong (it wont be i know that, saves on weight and cost).

I don't see it serving a person, but more as a new gimmick

Do you have a video that shows how well it withstands attack. as there would not be much point in creating something that is not built for purpose.

You did ask.

ref=dp_image_0
3-BottleLock.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kuat-Bike-B...1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1340927692&sr=8-2-fkmr1

This looks prettier but it's still pants.

OP
OP
millerlock

millerlock

Hi thanks for your reply, firstly the video was produced purely for that specific competition so we didn't go over every feature. The pictures are mock ups done on a computer and the real thing looks much better, all we were demonstrating was the concept of the lock and how it would work. there will be more videos showing the actual prototype working.

Your second point about the lock failing is totally unfounded as you haven't ever used it, that being because its a stage one prototype. However i would like to add the lock is totally CNC machined to a very high level as is the mechanism which were all designed by a more than competent engineer, with a patent pending on the product. Were not looking to sell at a low price so why would we save on weight/ price of the chain which is an off the shelf product? and relatively cheap, It just doesn't make any sense if we want to sell at the top end of the market to have a well made product with a cheap chain.

we have only just started getting the product out there,and its still a prototype. It will take time to do every video, and get product reviews, we all work full time this is a work in progress. However I am very confident your totally wrong on the security aspect of the lock.

I hope that has cleared things up a little.

Thanks

Drew

Manonabike

Über Member
Hi thanks for your reply, firstly the video was produced purely for that specific competition so we didn't go over every feature. The pictures are mock ups done on a computer and the real thing looks much better, all we were demonstrating was the concept of the lock and how it would work. there will be more videos showing the actual prototype working.

Your second point about the lock failing is totally unfounded as you haven't ever used it, that being because its a stage one prototype. However i would like to add the lock is totally CNC machined to a very high level as is the mechanism which were all designed by a more than competent engineer, with a patent pending on the product. Were not looking to sell at a low price so why would we save on weight/ price of the chain which is an off the shelf product? and relatively cheap, It just doesn't make any sense if we want to sell at the top end of the market to have a well made product with a cheap chain.

we have only just started getting the product out there,and its still a prototype. It will take time to do every video, and get product reviews, we all work full time this is a work in progress. However I am very confident your totally wrong on the security aspect of the lock.

I hope that has cleared things up a little.

Thanks

Drew

I wasn't expecting it to be hand made :smile:

Any decent chain would be quite thick which would make the device huge. Sorry but I just don't see how you can create a relatively small device using a "quality chain"

If you read this forum you will see that quality chains cost in excess of £100 and weight over 6 kg, they are bulky and too heavy to carry around so people tend to leave them at work or wherever they park their bikes on a regular basis.

This list has the "Almax Immobiliser Series IV" chain, the thing has 19mm links ^_^..... I'm thinking that you could probably accommodate 7 or 8mm links to be able to fit a chain inside its enclosure..... not strong enough to deter a thief and for that reason I'm out ^_^

simon.r

Person
I like the idea of having a relatively lightweight lock attached to my bike all the time. However, I do not believe that a small diameter chain / wire will be able to withstand a thief equipped with bolt croppers, so I think if you try to market it as 'high-security' people will dismiss it. Better, IMO, to market it as a back-up lock.

I might buy something like this to use as a back-up or to use when leaving my bike for short periods in relatively safe locations. Popping into a shop or cafe for instance. A couple of points:

• Many bikes have 2 sets of bottle cage bosses - it would be good if this lock was physically small enough so that the 2nd set of bosses could still be used to fit a cage.

• If the key could be stored within the lock that would also be useful - that way you would always have a working lock with you.

I wasn't aware of the bottle lock linked to above, but I can't see that your idea has any advantages over that. Sorry!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
...I do not believe that a small diameter chain / wire will be able to withstand a thief equipped with bolt croppers...

if you look on youtube you'll find that even big fat heavy expensive locks cannot withstand a thief with bolt croppers either. If they really want your bike, they will take it. Your lock is merely a deterrent to those don't 'really' want it.

as the the miller bros' design, i kind of like it.... locking and unlocking my bike should be quick and easy, especially if it's just for popping in a shop

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
locking and unlocking my bike should be quick and easy, especially if it's just for popping in a shop

If I ride to work, nip to the shops afterwards and then the gym I can easily spend a good ten or fifteen minutes a day locking and unlocking up. I do always wonder about people that have one lock rather than two though.

Manonabike

Über Member
[quote="MontyVeda, post: 1910802, member: 12393"]if you look on youtube you'll find that even big fat heavy expensive locks cannot withstand a thief with bolt croppers either. If they really want your bike, they will take it. Your lock is merely a deterrent to those don't 'really' want it.

as the the miller bros' design, i kind of like it.... locking and unlocking my bike should be quick and easy, especially if it's just for popping in a shop[/quote]

Wrong, bolt croppers won't cut anything larger than 17mm, however, power tools will cut a chain with a 19mm link or bigger diameter.

The proposed lock cannot be counted as a serious deterrent really. Unless of course he uses a proper chain in which case the lock would be too heavy and bulky.

I agree that this could make a good secondary lock in which case there is more potential for a marketable lock.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
If my Venge was standard I would not be able to fit this as it would foul my Di2 battery. A lock as many people correctly state is a visual deterrant which is why I have one with massive links because its going to give the impression its a hard target no matter the reality, this by contrast looks easy to break as such I believe people would have a go which would likely result in major damage to my bike if they were not sucessfull.. To state that a lock is quality because its manufacturing method is CNC has no relationship to its strength... How about having some testing done to it, or put your money where your mouth is and chain up an expensive bike in central london and say whoever can remove the lock in five minutes without powetools gets to keep the bike. You could even charge people to have a go and donate the money to charity which would be great PR
Place the videos on youtube of people attempting to break the lock and failing and you have a great viral marketing campain, specially if you ride off with the bike at the end of the day.
Personally my money is on someone else riding off with the bike, but I would love to be proved wrong.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I'm with "MANONABIKE" Visual deterent is the key to a bike lock. (no pun intended) There are proffesional bike thieves that will have your bike if they want it, but 99% of thefts are spur of the moment, opportunistic ba@+*7ds that just have no respect for anyone or anything. If they cant release the beast in about 15 seconds, they wont usually bother, & some body else will be the victim. On the odd occaision I HAVE to leave my bike up in public, I try to not let my bike out of my line of sight, even when its locked up. When at home, my bikes are behind locked doors and alarmed with movement sensors. They are better protected than my TV and laptop now I think about it :blush:

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Hey people, just joined in the hope that we could get some feedback on a new bike lock that me and my brothers have newly created, and see if you guys like it...

We have just produced a prototype and have a patient pending, were currently trying to drum up some support from cyclist to help us to get them in the shops sooner rather than later.

http://www.millerlock.com/

Would greatly appreciate and thoughts on the lock and your support.
you can follow us at all the normal places

Thanks drew.
Well done for trying but there is a lock on the market that works on the same idea but is small enough to be put in most coat pockets, it also incorporates a 120DB alarm if tampered with while locked. It uses cable rather than chain and is very like a retractable tape measure to use. TBF, its so hard to get one, I dont think it can be very popular or very well marketed, and I find the alarm VERY sensetive. But as another member said, for the casual, pop to town or pub type cyclist, you may be on to a winner . Good luck

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I am afraid the lock won't cut the mustard for security.

OK I suppose for a quick stop on a cheap bike you don't mind getting knicked. As said, unless it's 16mm chain and weights somewhere near 8-10lbs, then it will be rubbish.

I think its a neat idea. I think many of the comments above have taken their point of view (which is fine), but I think you need to know is it likely to interest 10% to 30% of cyclists as a first choice lock? Have you done a survey? whats the result?

Many riders don't need a lock if their ride is purely training/exercise that starts and ends at their house. Many riders already carry a bag to work with packed lunch/change of clothes/wallet/phone/keys/really big thick lock etc. So who are you aiming for - who wants this lock. Ride to shops/town? Leisure ride to a pub for lunch, or a ride to a friends house and leave the bike outside friends house. You may find the younger generation 'may' take to it first OR take some persuading its cool (a further little survey for younger generation may help).

Many people used to and to a lesser extent now still wrap a chain or bundled steel wires around the seat post with rubber padlock (Which is a 'similiar' idea to you, i.e. fixing the lock to your bike).

The locks that tend to be the most secure have always been rather thick solid D bars thats at least a cm thick! So personally, I am worried your lock might not be thick enough (needs to bend in) and that counts me out.

I wish you good luck with this.... but I just wonder if you can find a way to capture the younger generation you may just have something......the key may be just marketing on this one...

Top Bottom