so what do you guys make of my new lock?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
I like the idea of it but I use both bottle cages on my road bike and my hybrid is a step-through frame and the lock would get in my way. I'd consider using the lock on either bike but I'd always back it up with a secondary lock and currently use a chain or cable and d-lock on both of my bikes.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
Actually, I'm perfectly happy with both locks that I have so I probably wouldn't buy your lock. Sorry.

BSRU

A Human Being
the chain but there is no reason why it wont be as strong as any chain you can buy off the shelf now.
I have an off the shelf chain called an Almax, I doubt your device will be anywhere near as secure as that.
Unless the chain is at least 16mm then it can be easily removed with he basic bike thief tool, hand bolt croppers, therefore pretty useless.

compo

Veteran
I would have thought that knowing how week the rivnuts are that the bottle cage screws into the lock screwed into these rivnuts would be susceptible to a good kick to break it free. The chain would still hopefully be around the fixed structure you have secured to but the damage to the bike would be a pain.

redcard

Veteran
So it attaches to the cage mounts. Is this the USP? That's a negative for me, not a plus.

.... there is no reason why it wont be as strong as any chain you can buy off the shelf now.

What material are you thinking of using to achieve this?

I like the fact that your surname is spelled incorrectly at 0.54 :evil:

OP
OP
millerlock

millerlock

as said above the mount could mount straight to the frame, i have an almax chain for my motorbike and agreed its not gunna be as strong as a 16mm chain. the point is the majority of people use a standard sized chain were just making it much easier to use and u dont carry it with you.

Lastly i would wait till you see the actual prototype before saying its ugly, not a computer mock up.

Thanks

OP
OP
millerlock

millerlock

well spotted, the vid was made within a time limit for the competition, there will be more videos coming which were not, giving a full product review.

Norm

I like it and, for the commuter I'd sacrifice a bottle mount - as I have one spare on both of the flat-barred bikes which I use regularly anyway.

However, if you could mount it without removing access to the bottle mount, I'd consider that to be much more useful for the long-distance bikes as I need all the bottle holders I can get on them! You could maybe consider attaching it in the seat-post /cross bar angle, for instance, either with crocodile clips or Velcro bands, as the security of the mount on the bike isn't relevant if you loop the lock through the frame anyway.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
there's a chap on this forum who leads the fight against bike theft in London. If you have a prototype he could probably be persuaded to take a look at it

Top Bottom