so what do you guys make of my new lock?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
IMO, it looks like shoot, I dont care if it is a computer design or a prototype, by design, it will look shoot regardless of whatever gimmicky shade of shoot you paint the final product. Some people wont care, but I would!

The "feature" of it being self recoiling is a massive put off, the last thing I would want is to lose grip by accident and see a chain or anything able to cause damage of any kind whipping around near my frame!

Furthermore in order to be recoiling a chain, the chain cant be very heavy duty. I would have absolutely no confidence in it.

As for the comment that it saves someone carrying it? Not really, they still have the additional weight with them, except now rather than being in a pannier or backpack (which they will still need to carry in order to carry their water bottle and proper lock) it is attached to their bike making them look like a tool with a recoiling extension cord housing attached to their down tube and taking up space where they could put something useful, like a water bottle.

:banghead:

I would love to see some innovation in this area, but when innovating, I want to see progression in terms of function take precedence over what overcomplicated gimmicks you can cram into a utility product!

classic33

Leg End Member
Similar proven design here:
http://pacsafe.com/bucklesafe-100-backpack-buckle-lock-with-tsa-accepted-lock

I know its not for a bike, but the one asked about seems to be nowt but a scaled up version. I have seen one with four strands of interwoven 8mm or 10mm cable. Designed for motorcycle use, but not able to get a link to it.

Crosstrailer

Im half expecting the finished product to look like one of those things ships use to wind the anchor in :smile:

Perhaps calling it the Capstan and having it play a selection of popular sea shanties while you pull the cable out would be a good selling point ?

Top Bottom